Kansas City Apple Store Grand Opening

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stoid, Sep 24, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I was just wondering if anyone else here on the boards was going to be at the Kansas City Apple Store's Grand Opening tomorrow morning. I've convinced a friend to head down there with me, and I'm excited to see the iMac G5's in person finally!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that you will have a great day. Apple Store openings are a lot of fun. How much of a drive? Will you post some pictures?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Too bad I don't live in Kansas...
    I did take part in the grand opening of the Legacy Village Apple Store in Lyndhurst, OH - at least for the launch of Panther. I couldn't go there right when it opened because I was stuck at work at the time.

4. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Yeah, they do. My sister goes to the University of Kansas, and the campus is full of computers :D. She even has one in her dorm room! :eek: I was actually surprised by what a nice town Lawrence is, and how beautiful the campus was. It was very hilly, nothing like what you expect Kansas to look like. Not even a corn field in sight.

Oh, and the Kansas City Apple Store is in Kansas City, Missouri. :)

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Could someone do us a huge favor and post pics of the store opening? I want to see the huge line of the Apple faithful:)

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's just wierd - who came up with the bright idea of putting Kansas City across the border in Missouri? That's bound to cause confusion - it sure confused me until you reminded me of that fact.

8. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Kansas City, MO?!? Weeeeiiirrddd...

BTW, I like Kansas. Great state. They DO have computers.

9. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Well there is a Michigan City, Indiana just across the border from Michigan too.

10. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I know, I was just joking with you. :)

Ready to get more confused? There is also Kansas City, Kansas. It's smaller than Kansas City, Missouri, though. Really, it is that the city got so big it kind of spilled over the border into Kansas.

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

WHY? That's the stupidest idea EVER! Why create the city in Missouri, then spill it into Kansas? It should have started in Kansas and stayed there! Whoever planned that design needs to have their brain washed out with soap...

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well, everyone who lived in Kansas City, KA siad "ewww, Kansas sux0rz" so they naturally moved into Missouri - but kept the city name.

13. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Actually, KC KS (not KA ;) ) is a rather low-income area with not much good happening from what I can tell. Hence, there is no confusion when discussing something large or nice happening in Kansas City - it's always KC MO. (Chiefs, Royals and everything is in KCM). That said, the 'most desirable' place to live in the KC Metro area is actually Johnson County Kansas. KCM has nice areas, but it can be spotty.

As someone who recently moved to the area, this took a bit of time to figure out - especially while home shopping.

KS is a great place to live... even if their politics are waaaay screwy IMHO.

Alas... onto the topic.

I may try to swing by, but I won't be in line all night or anything. Well, probably not. Maybe early in the morning. Actually, I've just talked myself into it. I'll plan to get there around 7ish. Maybe I'll still get a Free T-shirt.

I'll be wearing an Oakland A's hat (Green w/Yellow A), just stop me and say "hi".

They'd better not spring any crazy promotion on us, b/c then I'll have to come home and sign divorce papers.

14. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Like the "Mystery Bag?" :D

Although, those ended up being pretty nice, and people just sold off the parts they didn't want.

15. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Dang, I STILL want one of those. Everytime someone brings it up, I get all mad because I didn't get one. Provided, I was halfway across the US, but damn...I wanted/want one. I wish Apple sold the lucky bags exclusively in the stores. It would be AWESOME.

16. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I guess they are having too good of a time to post just yet. We will just have to be patient.

18. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I'm here now, but I missed the line and the free t-shirts. :(

My friend that I came with is snapping some quick shots of the store right now, I'll post them when I get back to my apartment (probably after 4pm).

I'm just chillin' here for a bit, I'm going to do a video chat with a friend at the Apple Store St. Louis as soon as he gets online. If anyone else wants to do a quick video chat, hit me up on the IM, and you can get a peek at the store.

PS. I've brought my PowerBook, and am using the Store's Wi-Fi and iSight! :D

19. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

I was in line at 8:45 with about 100 or so folks in front of me. By 10, I'd say the line was double or more behind me.

The store was surprisingly small which left me a bit disappointed. It was nice and - obviously on opening day - crowded. It was my first chance to see all the mini colors and the 4G iPods in person which was cool.

The timing of the opening was great because there was a arts festival in the Plaza with lots of folks just asking about the Apple store and watching the hype around the opening.

Overall, neat, but I'm glad that I wasn't earlier.

20. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Also, I was bummed that none of the computers had Motion on them - I REALLY wanted to see it in action.

...and seeing the iMac G5 in person, I was not as impressed as I'd hoped. I dunno, they still feel clunky to me. The tilt action is ultra-smooth, but eh. Not my fave.

The 30" screens though... oh mama. I haven't felt techno-lust like that in a long long time.

FD

21. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Did you try over in the Video section for Motion? I too was shocked that Motion wasn't on the G5s with FCP and DVD Studio Pro, but I asked an employee, and he directed me to the video section of the store.

22. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

No, no I didn't. For some goofy reason I didn't think about that. I just assumed that it would be more iMovie, FCE/P and DVDSP. :eek:

Maybe tomorrow!

23. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

You're lucky to live so close, it's nearly a 2 hour drive from NWMSU all the way up here in Maryville. :(

Oh well, at least it can be a one day trip, unlike having to go back to my hometown of StL!

24. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Umm, I'm not familiar with Apple Store Openings, can someone tell me what happens at the openings?

25. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

People line up in droves hours before it opens, the first thousand get free T-shirts. The store is packed all day. They fly in other store employees from all over the place to help out. I talked to a guy in the genius bar about my PowerBook sleep issue and it turns out he actually worked at the Apple Store in Dallas, and was flown in for the day.