Karl Rove Will Not Be Charged

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Jun 13, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- White House senior adviser Karl Rove has been told by Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald that he will not be charged in the CIA leak case, according to Robert Luskin, Rove's lawyer.

"In deference to the pending case, we will not make any further public statements about the subject matter of the investigation," Luskin said in a written statement Tuesday. "We believe that the special counsel's decision should put an end to the baseless speculation about Mr. Rove's conduct."

A grand jury has heard testimony from Rove in five appearances, most recently April 26.

After that appearance, Luskin issued a statement saying, "In connection with this appearance, the special counsel has advised Mr. Rove that he is not a target of the investigation."

At issue in the case has been how covert CIA operative Valerie Plame's name was disclosed to the media.

On Monday, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, a former aide to Vice President Cheney, appeared in court to update a judge on preparations for his trial in the case.

Libby, who resigned in October as chief of staff to Cheney, is fighting charges he lied to investigators and a grand jury about his knowledge of Plame.

Plame's husband, U.S. diplomat Joe Wilson, had openly challenged part of the Bush administration's pre-war rationale for waging war on Iraq. But Libby's defense counsel has asserted there was no sinister effort to punish the Wilsons by revealing the identity of his wife to several reporters.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its a shame they didnt nail this draft dodger, his spin has helped put the worst president in power twice and is helping to destroy what is left of our once honorable country.

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

What's wrong with dodging the draft? :D :p

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nothing, Vietnam was pure stink of the politician, only afterwards he and his group of fellow draft dodgers took this country into Iraq over lies. Thats what sucks about George & his team of draft dodgers like Cheney,Libby,Rove,Frists,Delay,Hastert,etc

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Rove may not have been in the war, but he sure dodged the bullet.

Too bad. :mad:

BTW...is it just me, or is Rove starting to look like a cross between Cheney and Rummy?

[​IMG]

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Rove Cleared, Zarqawi Dead, GOP Doomed

Link

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Pelosi is as big a turd as our President. Im not praying for anyone who has never represented this country and only works for the megaCorporations. We saw it in Iraq,Katrina,Enviroment, Oil, Border Control,Illegal immigration. This president doesnt not represent the American Worker or Tax payer in any fashion that I can see. He does works hard for China,Mexico,UAE and the Bin Laden family. Im sure the ones pouring $$$ into Pelosi are the same ones who finance the republicans. Lets face it the Senate,Congress and this President dont work for us.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Rove must be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

this indicates to me that fitzgerald did not have a 100% guaranteed case. probably only 98% or so.

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Provided he ever considered himself being charged something in the realm of the possible.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

5 trips before a grand jury doesn't give one a high degree of confidence that you are going to be let off the hook, particularly when your repeat visits are to explain discrepencies in your previous testimony.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think that's satire.
    That's my guess anyway.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't think this will help them. Sure, the supports will say this means he isn't guilty. They would have anyway. But to everyone else, the damage is already done. People who've been paying attention to this just think he got away with it. Or wonder who is guilty if he isn't. Somebody did it.

I don't see this changing things anymore than Zarqawi's death did... which is to say, it didn't.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It may just be wishful thinking, but maybe Fitzgerald is going after a bigger fish.

I'm actually surprised that he's managed to get this far without being forced
    to back down.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Some are trying to make a lot of political hay over the failure to indite Rove, or to charge anyone with a violation of the intelligence agent protection laws. They say since nobody was charged, that the law wasn't violated. But this is not what Fitzgerald said in his news conference some months back, when he announced the inditement of Lewis Libby. He said that by definition when someone obstructs justice, that it impedes the prosecutor's ability to determine if the law has been violated. I think we know that the law was violated, we just don't know who violated it. The obstruction was successful. This is probably why Rove got off. Libby will take the rap and we'll probably never find out who in the White House formulated this venal policy. I'm betting that Libby cops a plea before his case goes to trial.

But Wilson and Plame are considering a civil suit, so we'll see.