Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs film racked up two wins at last night's 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards, getting half of the awards for which it was nominated. In total, Aaron Sorkin won for Best Screenplay and Kate Winslet won for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role.

Notably, Michael Fassbender lost to Leonardo DiCaprio's win in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama category for The Revenant. Steve Jobs' composer, Daniel Pemberton, was also edged out by Ennio Morricone's composition for The Hateful Eight in the Best Original Score section.

golden-globes-steve-jobs-800x316.jpg

The new Steve Jobs film has been remembered more for its poor box office performance in the months since its wide release than for the quality of the film, and Aaron Sorkin briefly remarked on the topic while backstage at the Golden Globes. Sorkin commented on his enthusiasm for winning the award after the film had come to be known as "Box Office Failure Steve Jobs," hoping last night's double wins will bolster the movie's legacy in the face of its financial failures.
"The first weekend, we broke box office records. Same for the second weekend. The third weekend, the title of the movie changed to 'Box Office Failure Steve Jobs' ... It took some of the air out - the pride we had been feeling. We understood it wasn't for everybody, but we worked so hard on it. It was an unexpected and unusual movie. We just didn't want that to be the epitaph for the movie. So this is very nice."
Now that the Golden Globes out of the way, most are looking towards the 88th Academy Awards as the next major awards ceremony of the year, with nominations taking place this coming Thursday, January 14. Steve Jobs was rumored for Oscar nominations since the film debuted at Telluride in September, so it's likely to get some some of the similar recognition it got this year at the Golden Globes: Michael Fassbender for Best Actor, Kate Winslet for Best Supporting Actress, and Aaron Sorkin for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Article Link: Kate Winslet & Aaron Sorkin Win for 'Steve Jobs' at Golden Globes

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Kate Winslet destroyed the movie. Or maybe I should say the character did. It was the reason the movie tanked. No way she should get an award.

Who wants to see a Steve Jobs movie that tells us 'It's more important to be a father to your daughter than one of the most influential technology persons?' It's ridiculous and too PC. Stick to the story, and tell THAT... don't morph the story and make it about something that the writer feels that it should be about.

If the movie were about the subject matter, not something else, maybe it would have sold.

MNJohn

macrumors regular
May 16, 2014

Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs film racked up two wins at last night's 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards, getting half of the awards for which it was nominated. In total, Aaron Sorkin won for Best Screenplay and Kate Winslet won for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role.

Notably, Michael Fassbender lost to Leonardo DiCaprio's win in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama category for The Revenant. Steve Jobs' composer, Daniel Pemberton, was also edged out by Ennio Morricone's composition for The Hateful Eight in the Best Original Score section.

golden-globes-steve-jobs-800x316.jpg

The new Steve Jobs film has been remembered more for its poor box office performance in the months since its wide release than for the quality of the film, and Aaron Sorkin briefly remarked on the topic while backstage at the Golden Globes. Sorkin commented on his enthusiasm for winning the award after the film had come to be known as "Box Office Failure Steve Jobs," hoping last night's double wins will bolster the movie's legacy in the face of its financial failures.
Now that the Golden Globes out of the way, most are looking towards the 88th Academy Awards as the next major awards ceremony of the year, with nominations taking place this coming Thursday, January 14. Steve Jobs was rumored for Oscar nominations since the film debuted at Telluride in September, so it's likely to get some some of the similar recognition it got this year at the Golden Globes: Michael Fassbender for Best Actor, Kate Winslet for Best Supporting Actress, and Aaron Sorkin for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Article Link: Kate Winslet & Aaron Sorkin Win for 'Steve Jobs' at Golden Globes

Is Macrumors a technology web site or an affiliate of Hollywood Reporter?

Last edited:

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I just saw this movie a few weeks back. I watched the entire thing, which says something right there. The movie seems so forced, with *everything* of import (or what they think is important) that happened in Steve's Apple life moving so fast. You learn nothing really about the man. All you really learn is that he denied his child and kept on denying her until the final scene. I for one, don't really care too much about his private life. I know him for his business life. That's what I wanted to learn first and foremost. The dialog was written for "Steve the myth" and not the person. A question requiring a yes/no answer may get 3 paragraphs. Sometimes writers can get way too cute.

You'll learn more by watching the Kutcher movie, sadly. If you have been in the loop on Jobs all the while, you won't actually learn anything about him in any of these movies really. They tend to take the myth and pump up those legends. Nothing to see here, you've seen it all before.

Winslet's "accent" was a distraction in the movie too. I wasn't bothered too much by the lack of a Jobs likeness playing the part. I guess I wanted to see a movie about Steve and Apple (computers), not his child support payments.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
Some redemption for Danny Boyle. This will help the film a little bit. Still a major box office flop.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Is Macrumors a technology web site or an affiliate of Hollywood Reporter?

Neither. It's an Apple news website. They cover all aspects of Apple, including personal details about various employees at Apple and news about Apple's competitors.

This movie was about the late Apple CEO Steve Jobs, and so falls into the list of things that are covered on the website. You needn't read the article if you don't want to - it's pretty obvious from the title that it isn't a tech-oriented article.

Also, this was a terrible movie. The acting wasn't good. The script was horrible.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I finally saw this movie and was extremely disappointed. The acting was great, but the movie itself was so badly written. As someone who's read a fair bit about Jobs, and knows the basic narrative of events, I couldn't get past how much made up nonsense was in this film.

Every person from Steve's past didn't stalk his product keynotes and choose those times to come have a character moment with him. I get that movies take some liberties, but this one took pretty much every single one and then some. I'm not really sure there was much of anything historically accurate, other than perhaps that all of the people depicted actually existed.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
No wonder it was a flop, the story structure was horrible, first half was 28 hour long argument/discussion about the computer should say hello at the event, the other 28 hours was about Steve fighting with Woz about giving some developers some credit, yes, i over exaggerated a bit but why drag those events out so much? Then the important events was just thrown in in very short bursts in between scenes, i felt the structure was so incredible messy and totally focused on the wrong things. The whole movie basically consisted of scenes with "witty banter"/back-and-forth ping pong styled arguments but it was just annoying, forces and not witty at all and way to dragged out.

A "real" director should be able to tell the Steve Jobs story about 100 times better and other than the clothes, nothing about Fassbenders portrayal of Steve Jobs actually felt like Steve Jobs, its kinda weird, i dont like Ashton Kutchers acting but he got alot of Steve Jobs mannerism, walking and posture was way more accurate.

It would be fun if some of you that liked it posted what you liked about the movie because i am very curious

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
A question requiring a yes/no answer may get 3 paragraphs. Sometimes writers can get way too cute.

I take it you've never seen an Aaron Sorkin show/film before. It's not 'cute'. It's his very distinct style that has a rhythm and cadence that's really unlike any other writer out there. Like him or hate him, what Aaron Sorkin does isn't ever intended to be exactly real. Of course people don't talk like that. But people don't talk in iambic pentameter either and yet we consider Shakespeare's words to be greatness.

sov33

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Nirwalk, ct
i've said this before: this a a mean-spirited hit piece ... AND it was tedious. While i'm not suggesting Steve needs to be seen through rose-colored glasses i do think that embellishing on his child support and making that basically the whole movie was disingenuous - and then on top of that - for Sorkin to say to his own daughter that he does everything to impress her - that was a direct shot at Steve and a clear indication that sorkin had an agenda when he wrote this garbage.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Neither. It's an Apple news website. They cover all aspects of Apple, including personal details about various employees at Apple and news about Apple's competitors.

This movie was about the late Apple CEO Steve Jobs, and so falls into the list of things that are covered on the website. You needn't read the article if you don't want to - it's pretty obvious from the title that it isn't a tech-oriented article.

Also, this was a terrible movie. The acting wasn't good. The script was horrible.

Give this guy a Golden Globe.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

Pman17

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Galveston, TX
I was not too impressed with the movie. I didn't like how it revolved around just the keynotes. Though I'd have to say, I didn't notice that character was Kate Winslet till 30min into the movie.

MacFan1957

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
The "win" for Sorkin likely had more to do with who he is then his screenplay. The man is a dire screenwriter in my view. He gets away with so called "witty" dialogue that seems to cause reviewers and voters to look passed his obvious failings. In a industry stuffed full of self satisfied, over paid idiots, this guy is king, dire!

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
If all the whiners here care about Job's business life, watch the CNN documentary. An even MORE damning indictment of clinical psychopathy and greed.

NOT a winner, that man. If there was never any massive money to be made with the Mac, we wouldn't have ever seen a single innovation. Santa Claus as Krampus.

He wanted to be bigger than IBM; he got his wish. In every sense of the word.

Canonization is not the proper response for this guy.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The movie was fantastic. I felt that while it was a little hard on Steve, it seems to fall in line with how he was seen and described by those around him at that time. It portrayed him as human, struggling to get in touch with his emotional side and to connect with others but contradicted by his deep dedication to his work, not some wild egomaniac with no sense of humanity. In the end, we did see that and it comes full circle, showing us a Steve who has learned and evolved into the Steve Jobs that his wife and Apple wanted him to be seen as.

Having read the book on which this film was based and authorized by Steve Jobs himself, this seems to be fairly accurate for the periods in his life that the movie covers. It does not cover his life with his wife nor does it get into the later stages of Apple as it became very successful, a period that Steve was known to have softened and become more of a family man in private and open to compromises with his team as a CEO.

The end of the film does appear to set up this next phase of his life. People should go into watching this film ignoring the bad publicity and they may be surprised at how great and entertaining it is. While I was concerned with Fassbender playing the lead, you definitely forget that he doesn't look like Jobs because his character, his personality, his speech, and his mannerisms totally make up for it. At some point into the movie, you accept that you're watching Steve Jobs on screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: reden
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.