Kava Kava

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Any other Kava Kava drinkers here?

I bought this a while ago under orders from one of those crazy witch doctors orders to cure my migraines. I found it really nice, my mate Adam got into it too. only its rock solid to find powdered or cut root Kava these days. in england at least! its all tablets!

Anywho it really did cure my migraines! I stopped having them for about 2 years. I was so chilled out for months later! I swear, one time after having a Kava milkshake at school I just felt so good inside. On the bus ride home I was listening to David Bowie and Suffragette City came on (first time i heard it!) and the whole world just smiled.

I've been getting my migraines recently and wanted to know if any brits or anyone knows a good import site? or if any drinkers want to share their experiences with the pepper-related plant? :)

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow - that's great that it helped, but I'm not sure about the long term effects of the stuff. I had some when I was in Fiji (where the Kava Kava comes from) and as a drink, its not all that special - a little tingling on the lips :D

I actually have a nice Tanoa bowl sitting in my dining room - and I brought back a bunch of powered Kava root, but I haven't had any in years.

D

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you drink a bit of it, it's good for you, I think.

If you drink a lot of it, it'll mess you up a bit. I think you're supposed to see things with a blue tinge if you drink heaps.

When I went to Fiji, I was given lots and lots of it by this these 3-4 Fijians in a small room in a back-alley. That is, until all of a sudden, 4 more guys walked into the room. All of a sudden, I was surrounded by 8 large Fijians who were trying to rob my ass. I didn't feel like getting up. :eek:

This was last year, about a year ago, right before I started posting regularly again. I escaped alive and well. That was an incredibly scary, messed up experience, and I will never trust the Kava again. :p Sorry.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I heard long term use causes manic depression too but that may be BS.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Didn't they take that stuff off the market after all those hillbillies went blind? ;) :D

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We were at a village and had one of those tours where you met the chief and drank some Kava with him and his people.

He was old, but not that old, but he was totally out of it. I don't know if that was from long term kava abuse, but it didn't impress me.

I never got enough kava in me to have it do more than tingle the lips. I remember driving from the resort to Suva with some friends one day and seeing the Kava stands along the road. Basically you could pull over and take in a little kava and then get back on the road. Seemed a bit weird - especially since all you really needed to do the thing was a tanoa bowl and some kava. Guess that was the Fijian version of a Lemonade stand....

D

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that kinda substance worries me. I try to keep away. :eek:

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I used to drink it with a guy I knew from Fiji. This guy drank a ton of this stuff, out of a coconut shell (not sure why).

It gives you a nice mellow buzz.

9. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Long term use can cause liver damage, I think.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Kava?

For all those people whinging about it, here's a suggestion...
    [​IMG]

Garn get on it!!

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea it can cause liver damage if drunk in large quantities very frequently. Sounds a lot like alcohol to me but hey ;)
    Thats why they can't sell the powder stuff in the UK. its all tablets because they're worried somebody will take too much. I suppose thats for the best and all, but why is alcohol still on the menu which has more problems associated with it. ho hum!

even Dr. Hermans in Manchester doesn't stock it. but its fine for him to sell 'legal weed' and mushroom growing kits AND that Salvia Divinorum thingy.

hah! another story about that actually, mate of mine loves that Saliva stuff. always telling me about his adventures on it.