Kay resigns from ISG saying there are no WMD

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by toontra, Jan 23, 2004.

1. toontra macrumors 6502

Just breaking. It seems he has had enough. Convenient timing - just after the State of the Nation address!

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Probably had something to do with Cheney's remarks, which I posted to another thread, which seemed almost designed to embarrass Kay. I hope Kay doesn't retreat to the sidelines. I hope he becomes a huge nuisance to the Bush administration, at least half as much as Paul O'Neill.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry for the double post, but here's a link to an article about Kay's resignation:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&e=1&u=/nm/20040123/ts_nm/iraq_usa_weapons_dc

4. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

The way he's gone public so quickly suggests that he's very p***ed off, and is ready to join the growing band of people who feel they've been duped, manipulated, insulted and abused by Bush over the "intelligence" behind the war.

5. denjeff macrumors member

i wonder how the general more stupid public opinion is going to remember this. on political discussion fora, it s easy to express your opinion, but will the mass media have the guts to report this properly?

6. g5man macrumors newbie

Do you remember Powell presentation? He showed us a small vial. Kay said he does not think tons will be found, nor did he say there will be no WMD found period.

7. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm surprised you want to remind us of the Powell presentation. Almost everything he said has since been refuted or discredited.

Of course Kay couldn't say there won't be any banned weapons found; no-one can. But he appears to be pretty certain that the amounts which the US & UK claimed were there to justify war are definitely not there.

If you really believe that the future of the free world is endangered by an Arab with a test-tube then I'm afraid you have swallowed the paranoid propaganda undigested.

There were two main camps before the war - those who thought Iraq possessed WMD and were a global threat and those who didn't. All that has happened in recent months vindicates the latter. It is also becoming clearer every day the lengths to which the US & UK governments went to in order to mislead and deceive people into supporting war.

8. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I heard Cheney talking to Juan Williams the other morning on NPR when I woke up. I couldn't believe the amount of outright BS he was spewing. He basically repeated all the discredited claims of the past year, which the interviewer didn't challenge him on at all.
    How can the number 2 of the greatest power in the world either be so clueless or such an unabashed liar? Shocking...simply shocking.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

How convenient. I think some people like to pull the wool over their own eyes. Nice of the Bush administration to provide you with plenty of thick wool.

10. g5man macrumors newbie

No I think you have your head in the sand. Remember this is only the first draft. Kay report

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/02/kay.report/

You guys better stop giggling with each story that you believe builds up your case.

11. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

Instead of quoting huge chunks from a report months old, how about responding to what Kay said yesterday, now he has freed himself from the extreme political pressure he was obviously under. After all, that is what the thread is about (but when has that ever stopped you!)

The US strategy is these cases is obnoxious. They quote people, often out of context, as long as they are saying something (anything) which supports their aims. But when those same people put the record straight, they are discredited and belittled.

12. denjeff macrumors member

well said toontra!!!

but that s what politics is about nowadays. have a good imago and a secret agenda... lie, but from time to time hold a child in your arms... send people to death and visit them on thanksgiving...

i am not going to say bush is a coward, because he refused to do his duties for the army, that would be backstabbing... but i honestly can say that he is screwing everything up right now. your children will pay the bill (unless you come live here with me, in the free europe... i know some people who already moved, maybe they can help you integrate...).