Kazaa Cleared to Sue Record Labels

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sun Baked, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Nice to know this copyright case has the greenlight to move forward.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  3. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    This is getting out of control. Damn those greedy music executives!
  4. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    I don't like illegal music downloads but I dislike even more the greedy music industry's heads for the way they have been handling things in the past.

So, I find this amusing ^_^

1 thumb up
  5. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    My thoughts exactly. Kazaa's ethics are questionable at best, but the RIAA's approach at stopping them is equally shady.

Ugh. :rolleyes:
  6. denjeff macrumors member

Jan 14, 2004
    a pen :)
    wonder what they do against all other sharing programs: limewire, bittorrent, hotline, carracho,... there are just too many of them. illegal DL will always stay alive, unless they make it legal :D
  7. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    This will be an interesting suit to follow, maybe it'll be on Court TV.

I'm curious to see what grounds they'll be using.
  8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    unless legit people stop buying as well, and the source runs out.... ;)
  9. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    Kazaa is source of millions (maybe billions) of copyright infringments every day.

This is the second time they are suing someone for violating thier own copyrights.

Irony/hypocracy anyone?
  10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    Kazaa is crap anyway, it has so much spyware with it. And they want you to pay to get rid of the spyware. :confused:

They are also trying to sue people like Kazaa Lite, because Kazaa Lite provides a version of Kazaa without spyware for free. I hope Kazaa looses because of their attitude.
  11. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
  12. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    yeah it does run on OS X, it's a pay version however. Good! I don't care give them a taste of there own law suits.
  13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    What the HELL are you talking about?

There is no OFFICAL KaZaA Client for mac.

Oh my god, MIS-INFORMATION!

Stop spreading lies!

There are programs that access FastTrack (KaZaA network) like Poisoned... but its obviously not the "offical" KaZaA client... becuse then Sherman would have to own the rights and put spyware in it... :mad:

Sherman network killed KaZaA lite because it was a better product then they had... and it was free w/ no spyware.

coopdog -- I slap you for your lies.

Pay Version? HA!

To restate:
    Offical Client for Mac -- NO
    Access to KaZaA Network -- YES

edit: as for the lawsuit, good for them. The RIAA scanned their PRIVATE network using illegal methods to track users. Good Job Sherman fighting back.
  14. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    I find it amusing, sue the sue happy... I doubt all of the lawsuits will make either of the change their ways. :(
  15. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    Lighen up!

Did I ever ****ing say official client, NO. All it is, is kazza media desktop with spyware removed. So basically it is Kazza. And yeah it is a pay version.

Right here.
  16. aftk2 macrumors regular

Nov 10, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Heh, it's funny...I can just see the reason for their lawsuit:

"Well, you see, RIAA...how on earth are we supposed to get users to use our software, when you're not putting out anything remotely interesting for them to pirate?!"
  17. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002

One thing's for sure: all these lawsuits isn't going to bring the cost of music down, lawsuits cost loads of cash.

More expensive music = more illegal downloads

IMHO it'll all end up backfiring at them :rolleyes:
  18. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I knew I should have become a lawyer!

They are the only ones that make any money off these suits.
    I doubt either side will ever win and if they do it could take years, and by that time there will be new file sharing methods.

Of course if a judge places an injunction on the RIAA against using these illegal methods, then that could be a huge blow to the RIAA which would be good since they are eroding our rights!
  19. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

LOL. Man American's just love to sue each other!
    Its nice to see the Labels getting a taste of their own medicine, but lets hope the ITMS can end the need for illegal file sharing.
  20. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    What the hell are you talking about?

KaZaA Lite was Killed.

KaZaA (offical) shut it down.

That just has the old version (the last release) of a FREE PRODUCT that they are now trying to SELL it... what, do you work for them or something?

And NO KaZaA Lite was NEVER for Mac.

For Mac there is MlMac, Poisoned and iSwipe. iSwipe has been is perpetual beta forever (1 devolper)... mLMac is using the edonk network so its just easier you get a command line then use their GUI version...
    And Poisoned is probably the most finished product out of all of them.

*sigh* as for the case I'm glad the winner is always the Lawyers.

Keep suing... keep it coming.

P.S KaZaA Lite was Killed by Sherman Network (KaZaA) because it did violate its rights and software. The KaZaA Lite people took the code from KaZaA and improved it, what people are now trying to do is pass this Formely FREE software out and trying to sell it, which is also illegal.