KaZaa/Morpheus on OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sluthy, Jun 4, 2002.

1. sluthy macrumors regular

Until recently, I've used my Wintel as my main computer over my iMac for reasons:

1. superior MSN Messenger with file transfer and voice/cam
    2. faster speed (comparing a 500MHz Graphite to a new 1.5GHz P4)
    3. Morpheus (now KaZaa, because the new Gnutella Morpheus is crap), and a decent Audiogalaxy client (Sputnix was crap and died)

Well, now with the improved Mac MSN 3.0, there's only one thing stopping me from staying on my iMac - KaZaa and AG. Does anybody know if there's a KaZaa X on the way, or an AG client that works?

Don't tell me to use iSwipe, Carracho, Aimster, LimeWire (or ANY form of Gnutella) - they're all bull. I need KaZaa.

P.S. What is an error -2000?

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

An OS X client for KaZaa is Neo. I've not tried it, but then i don't use kazaa at all.

For AG you could try OpenAG X. Again, i've not tried it.

As for the -2000, have you had a look on apple's support pages?

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Kazza is in the works. not a complete client yet but you can find stuff. its called neo. all it does now is scan for hosts and then let you download from them. for this reason he is very careful not to call it a client. things have moved quickly however and maybe it will flesh out as the days pass http://elwww.cc.purdue.edu/~mthole/neo/

there are a lot of choice for audiogalaxy. none of them all that good :( For mp3s i would suggest drumbeat (but its demoware, thats right they think people will pay for a mp3 client. but all the registration unlocks is the adult content filter). but drumbeat is an open nap server and you asked for audiogalaxy. here are all i know of but the list is a bit dated:

AudioGalaxy
    sputnik
    http://www.biggerplanet.com/unsupported/sputnix.html
    MacSatellite
    http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11686&db=mac
    OpenAG
    http://homepage.mac.com/macdomeeu/dev/current/openag/

generally i feel open nap servers are best for mp3s, especially now that audiogalaxy is editing content like napster tried to do. drumbeat is the best of these and its hard to say no to petabytles of mp3s. if you want to *fix* drumbeat its pretty easy, but as they are in beta now for osx you will need to hunt down the osx beta (not publically distributed) until the release in the next several weeks.

i know you dont want to hear it so i wont harp, but gnutella clients arent all that bad. if all you want are mp3s, fern will get the job done. limewire is a bit bloated, slow and disgusting (i hate companies who expect us to pay for beta software), but it will work too. but id avoid the bloat and try fern if you were feeling adventurous enough to dive into gnutella again.

and if you are feeling VERY adventurous try edonkey2000 and mldonnkey (the opensouce edonkey)
    http://www.edonkey2000.com/
    http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/mldonkey/

and if you get edonkey working come back and let me now how, because it drove me a bit nuts a couple days ago. it was great when i had it working though. basically the network is great but the client sucks. need an ambitious young cocoa developer to take this one on.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

so... no luck with it? Did you get mldonkey working?

arn

5. sluthy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

I wasn't aware of Neo, I'll have to check that out. As for MacSatellite or Sputnix, I tried them both, but both of them expired on me. I haven't tried OpenAG though, I'll give it a go. :)

As for LimeWire, out of approx. 50 attempted downloads, 5 worked for me. That was when LimeWire even worked. I've lost count of the times I've typed a search, waited for 1/2 hour, and got nothing, again and again.:mad:

6. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Thanks

If you dont share files on limewire you wont be able to download off some people. Just put some pics in your shared folder.

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Re: Thanks

It's a catch 22 situation. You can't get files without sharing files. :eek:

8. j763 macrumors 6502a

Don't tell me to use iSwipe -- instead tell me how i can run a propriatory file sharing protocol which is bundled with BDE, a nice little distributed computer project which sits in the background nicely, making money for Sharman Networks P/L and using up my spare CPU on my iMac...

i mean, really :rolleyes:

9. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

I use sputnix regularly and think it is quite good. The latest version is much more sophisticated than previous ones.

If you want a good Gnutella client, try Aquisition. It is Cocoa; it's small; and it's a nice alternative to Limewire.

Chris

10. iVirtual macrumors newbie

Virtual PC / Kazaa

I suggest getting Virtual PC 5, wich runs very well on OSX, and then installing Morpheus/Kazaa.

Hope this helps...

11. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I run neo and it rocks and I also use openagx which is nice
    I think I will be using sputnix instead

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I use Sputnix to get tunes from audiogalaxy. I haven't used it for anything else, but it works real well for what I do with it. The latest version is better then the previous ones, but even those were not all that bad. You can even get the 'pro' version for all of a $12 contribution. Not a bad deal...

13. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Re: Thanks

Sputnix doesn't expire like beta versions of other software.. when it says it expired, all it means is that there is a new version out. Just go to http://www.biggerplanet.com/unsupported/sputnix.php and download the new version.

irmongoose

14. sluthy thread starter macrumors regular

Update

I thought Sputnix had discontinued because when it told me to upgrade, the page wouldn't work for me so I gave up. Now I'm running it again.

But I'm also starting to really hate Audiogalaxy because of their annoying attempts to block content. Also, I want more than songs, I also download video clips and software, which is why I needed a KaZaa client and not just an AG client.

15. sluthy thread starter macrumors regular

P.S.

I haven't tried Neo yet, it sounds complicated but I'll give it a go.

And I'm NOT running VPC5. Right now, I'm controlling KaZaa on my PC via VNC, and it works fine. It's jusst that the rest of my family uses the PC as well, and transfering files to/from PC - iMac is a downright pain in the neck (shold improve with Jaguar's SMB sharing though - no more "Buy DAVE" or 3hour PC MacLan Demo:D).

16. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: P.S.

try using hotline. I set up a hl server on my mac and a client on my PC and I can get files sent between them very easily

17. sluthy thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: P.S.

Does that run over Internet or LAN? It would be painfully slow to download 30Mb movies from a computer 2 metres (6ft) away.

18. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Re: P.S.

it will run over your LAN and utilize the full speed of it. I've done 30 meg transfers between my 2 computers in about half a minute or less (both connected into a linksys router+4 port ethernet). you could even leave it running and log into it if you were to say go over to a friend's house or something and wanted to get at your playlists :D

19. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: P.S.

Try Sharity... look for it at versiontracker.com. It worked for me when I couldn't get any onther client to work, and it's free for students (limited to 3 computers I think).

Sharity will be made redundant with the next release of OX, though.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: P.S.

I tried sharity and if F-ed up my airport connection. If you have airport and connect that way, I wouldn't try it.

Wait for the next release of OS X, especially if it does make software like sharity unnecessary.

21. sluthy thread starter macrumors regular

Now for printers

I also tried Sharity, but it didn't work, the PC never saw it. I'm currently downloading four Hotline programs (client/server for 9 and X) and have to find the XP versions. I just wish OS 9 could do SMB without paying extra:(

Anyway, about my bloody printers. The reason I was asking about the -2000 eror was because that's what I get when I try to add my Canon BJC3000 to the Printer List, after using the hacked drivers at this page . I've read other reviews at VersionTracker and they've got theirs working. I want to know how to fix it.

Also, does Jaguar have USB printer sharing? I want to be able to print directly to the PC's LaserJet 1200, and from the PC to the iMac's BJC3000.

22. Choppaface macrumors 65816

23. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Now for printers

Just go to the system preferences, then sharing + check the box that says Printer Sharing.

24. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Re: Re: Now for printers

Ugh.. this thread is... what.. 5 months old... why is it that the number of threads risen from the dead are increasing these days??

irmongoose

25. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Mac OS X definitely needs Kazaa. I have it running right now
    (and always) on my PC. I have downloaded about 12 full length
    Kung Fu movies. They aren't even all popular. I could never
    do that on a mac client. Why isn't anyone developing Kazaa for
    mac? Macs need it.