KBR, a War, a poor man, and taxpayer dollars...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jul 1, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So it would appear that our friends at KBR, have given us another moral dilemma...whether the hiring (for pennies a day) foreign workers in such a manner that evades oversight and accountability (and possibly security issues), is worth the savings of millions of tax dollars? I am also curious if the contract(s) KBR received from the US government allowed them to gain a larger profit-margin by the employment of the cheapest labor (ie if there were fixed costs for wages etc)? With a recession going on stateside, might those jobs have been valuble to Americans? Were they too dangerous for Americans(literally or politically), but ok for someone else from across the world?

what say you?
    here is the full article:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19228-2004Jun30.html

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not having access to the actual contract, we may never know. Many of the contracts the government does for logistic support are "fixed cost" contracts. So it is to their benefit to find the lowest paid workers it can.

I would love to hear if this is one of those no-bid contracts.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

More like one of those no-scruple contracts.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This was actually previously in the news several weeks ago -- the same worker was quoted (by another writer). But then he was still working for the company in question.

Oh, and BTW, people don't say "a brown man" anymore. Or at least I should say I consider it offensive. Say Indian, Pakistani, South Asian, Asian, or don't say anything. :(

5. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

It was meant as "ironic"...however, if the mods will let me change it, I will...I had no intention of offense...sorry for the misunderstanding.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If you look at your posts, you will see an "edit" button. You can make changes that way.

7. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

I did use that, but it doesn't change the main header...but it seems my PM to Rower fixed everything...thanks, Rower.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks! :)

Oh, btw, I wonder whatever happened to that guy. It sounds like now he's not working for them anymore. Hope they let him go home...India (and Pakistan) have been having a lot of problems recently with people being smuggled out of the country to go to do foreign jobs, or being taken by flim-flam recruiters. There was a really sad incident a month or two ago where a number of people from Pakistan and one from India were killed in one of the ex-Soviet states by some local officials who thought they were terrorists for some unclear reason. :( It's just as bad as those stories several years ago with Chinese illegal immigrants to the US being smuggled in cargo boxes on ships and being killed by the heat....

I guess the gov'ts of India and Pakistan are kinda afraid of slowing growth though, if they regulate too heavily on these things. Sad. A lot of times families depend on the checks these people send home for livelihood or at least comfort.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

KBR, a War, a poor man, and taxpayer dollars... Panama!