KDE 3.1 released, Konqeror now with tabbed browsing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vniow, Jan 28, 2003.

1. vniow macrumors G4

So, any chance of Apple making tabs in the final release of Safari now that the browser it's based off of has it?

Or how difficult would it be for a third party to make a plugin for it?

[​IMG]

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Holy crap, I used to use Linux, and seeing that screenshot triggered some kind of post-traumatic stress episode in me.

Tabs seem like a pretty trivial thing to add to Safari, and I'm sure Apple will include them if it wants to.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Tabs in Konq mean nothing for tabs in Safari. Safari and Kong rely on KHTML and KJS for HTML rendering and javascript functionality. They both provide their own UI, networking and so on. As tabs are part of the UI this change will not be seen in KHTML so will not effect Safari. If Apple decide to go for tabs they will need to write the code in their UI layer.

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

what linux is that, even if its not yours?

safari will get tabs, I think it was made a priority by apple after everyone requested it.

tabs is a shoe in for safari

5. jaykk macrumors 6502a

If u start using Mac OS X, u will never go back to Linux

I was an early adapter of Linux, a red hat 5.1 on my old gateway laptop. The installation on my laptop requires me to know all the hardware info beforehand like Video Card etc. Linux is improved a lot, but it still lacks Mac OS X's 'fluidness' ..

6. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Don't know, just found it on the KDE site.

That color scheme is hideous!

7. Chisholm macrumors regular

Chisholm

It looks like my RedHat 8 machine at work running the KDE GUI, as opposed to Gnome. On second thought, it could be Mandrake 9. Haven't used it much, so...

It looks a LOT like a WinXP rip off, but compared to RedHat 7's Gnome its quite nice. I'll keep a flyswatter handy in case butterflies start coming out of it.

cheers!
    John

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

vniow, what window manager do you currently use? gnome, kde, windowmaker, blackbox, etc?? if you use either gnome or kde i highly recommend installing kde3.1. it actually is pretty nice from what i have seen and used. also, it doesnt HAVE to be fugly. but yeah, i agree with alex_ant. too many experiences with linux can trigger lifelong flashbacks at certain stimuli.

9. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

KDE 3.0, and I finally figured out how to change the color scheme on it, now it doesn't look so dull.[​IMG]

Will upgrade to 3.1 as soon as my modem ships.

10. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Linux is the kernel that runs the hardware. It is not the GUI.

KDE 3.1 is a GUI.

Linux does not even require a GUI (think DOS or UNIX).

As for Safari; how did the first (2) beta not have tabs? They have been "working" on it for a year?! Tabs has been a crucial desire for most web browsers for over a year now.

As to the color scheme in these KDE 3.1 screenshots; that can be changed. All GUI's i used on top of linux tend to be very skinnable/themable. Check out themes.org for different ideas.

11. guitargeek macrumors regular

12. KershMan macrumors 6502

"s for Safari; how did the first (2) beta not have tabs? They have been "working" on it for a year?! Tabs has been a crucial desire for most web browsers for over a year now."

Although I like using tabs, I just don't agree with that statement. IE, unfortunately, controls the browser world. There is nobody else that remotely comes close in market share. IE does not use tabs.

So, I would think tabs are a desire for a very small portion of the market. There are probably things much higher on the development list for Safari.

Personally, I would rather see autofill and keychain functions first.

13. leprechaunG4 macrumors member

I have never used a tabbed browser. I don't see the great benifits of it. I might in fact be annoyed with the unneccassary tabs cramping in on the page I want to view. If I had a browser that used tabs I'd likely be looking for how to shut them off.

14. daniel77 macrumors 6502

isnt KDE beautiful? atleast it sorta looks aqua-ish

15. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

16. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I agree with KershMan. At first I thought that tabs would be the thing I miss most, but now I realize that what I really would like to see in Safari is keychain/autofill stuff. Even IE has Autofill capabilties.

--Fred

17. guitargeek macrumors regular

Then just don't open anything in a new tab. They're invaluable to me, though.

I've always thought the Keramic theme for KDE looked pretty cool, but KDE is dog slow, and messy.

18. MasterX (OSiX) macrumors 6502

I think you'll find that Safari 1.0 is very complete. Improved compatability up to a point where it's near IE6 for Windows, speed beyond anything like Operah, and still the quality rendering that Safari has now which rivals OmniWeb 4 (arguably the best looking render, although it's rare when it renders acurately :)

19. Kid Red macrumors 65816

20. leprechaunG4 macrumors member

Kid, I think that's just the favorites bar, not the actuall tabs these other guys are talkign about.

21. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Nope, it's tabs. You can't get that in v60.

22. leprechaunG4 macrumors member

oh, ok. I duuno, my powerbook hasn't arrived yet. It should either tomorrow or the next day. It shipped friday. It's gonna be my first MAC so I'm still learning:cool: