1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Keep 12inch PowerBook or Get Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PkennethV, Oct 26, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

I plan to be getting the new 17inch C2 MBP this christmas to "replace" my powerbook. I've just moved to a new country (Canada, from Thailand) and I am working out a solution for TV, DVD and vids on my computer, or rather my EHD. I *was* thinking of getting the 1.66 ghz macmin (intel) and hook it up to a display (Using eyeTV which I already have to watch TV). What I just thought of is I could just use my 12 inch PB (not sell it) and not get the mac mini. What I am wondering is does the 12 inch PB handle HD playback as well (or better) than the MacMini? I could install FrontRow on my PB and use a wireless keyboard insted of the apple remote, but I'v heard that FrontRow is MUCH slower than on the Intel comps. So what I'm asking is if getting a MacMini (and selling my PB) or keeping my PB would be better for my needs.

thanks for any ideas

2. macrumors 6502a

Front Row on a 12in Powerbook is going to be unsupported, at least until Leopard... HD Playback is going to be poor, too. 480p at the most... I would go with the Mac Mini...