Keep Files From Automatically Organizing Themselves?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by benh911f, Aug 26, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

One of the things in Lion that annoys me a bit (although it can be useful at times) is how files will automatically move/organize themselves when placed somewhere. For example, say I download a picture and want to put it on my desktop. Before, it would stay right where I put it, and I could manually use "Arrange By" when I was ready to. Now, when I put the picture on the desktop, it will automatically put itself alphabetically already in order on the right hand side. Is there a way to disable this?

2. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Right click the desktop > show view options > sort by: > none or snap to grid

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help, but is there an option for a per file basis? For example, I still want the items I have on my desktop to be sorted by name as the default, but when I put a new file on the desktop, I don't want it to fly over there and automatically arrange itself.

4. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm not aware of a lot of things ;)

You could limit the behavior within separate folders on the desktop, and then move/download things accordingly, but that seems like a hassle.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that's what I don't get. It never did this in Snow Leopard. Like my hard drives would be mounted on the desktop in the right hand corner, I could drag something onto the desktop and it would stay there. Then, when I wanted to, I would just hit "Arrange by Name" and THEN it would organize itself. Weird. :(

6. macrumors 68030

tkermit

Why don't you just right-click on the Desktop and select "Clean Up by". It'll sort the files once, but any icons added later won't be affected by the sort order.