Keep getting Dropped Frame Error

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by eb6, Mar 17, 2007.

1. eb6 macrumors regular

I tried to log and capture some 16:9 DV footage today and for some reason FCP keeps giving me a dropped frame error. I've captured footage the exact same way just days earlier and now it will capture about 20 or so seconds and then give me the error. I even tried with different tapes that I have captured fine from before with no luck.

Any advice?

2. seniorstinky macrumors regular

When was the last time you cleaned the head of your camcorder?

3. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Are you copying the footage to the same hard drive you're running FCP on? If so, try getting a hold of a firewire external drive, and capture your footage to that.

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

QFT.

5. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I'm getting the exact same problem. Over on Apple's Discussions, there are others with the same problem and it's been narrowed down to the 10.4.9 update.

Nice work Apple. :mad:

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Reason #189 why you shouldn't install any software updates until it's been out long enough for people to find out all the things that it breaks.

Lethal

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

This Is A Common Problem Until You . . .

Go to User Preferences
    In the General Pane UNcheck the line in column 2 that says "Abort capture on dropped frames"
    Every once in a while a frame can be overlooked and cause the capture to stop. So you always want to uncheck that box so capture will continue. Regular users of Final Cut Pro have known about this for years.

FYI - It has nothing to do with the 10.4.9 update. :rolleyes:

8. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Actually, no. This isn't a case of the odd frame being dropped. Switching off that option will allow the capture to continue but whole chunks of frames get dropped, everything goes out of sync and the capture freezes within a minute anyway.

This IS a problem caused by the 10.4.9 update. There are enough people who have experienced this only after the 10.4.9 update to give the claim some weight.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=894301&tstart=15

9. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Another common culprit:

And the import settings match the tape settings right? NTSC stays NTSC and PAL stays PAL etc...!

10. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Final Cut Express 2 Is 3 Years Old And No One Should Be Using It

That discussion says Final Cut Express 2. Final Cut Express 2 is 3 years old. Since then there have been two major updates: 3 & now 3.5. I would not expect FCE 2 to work properly with 10.4.9 because it is too old. Is anyone with Final Cut Express HD 3.5 reporting this problem?

11. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Yeah, I use PAL and just to see switched over to NTSC for a capture. It lasted less than a second.

There's also someone using FCE HD having this problem which is what I use. And if Apple's in-system updates render software unusable, I think people have the right to be miffed. This isn't a jump from 10.3 to 10.4. 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 shouldn't kill a program. And I'm sure it's not intentional. From my experience, updating system software doesn't make a program useless.

12. Figory macrumors member

Dropped frames ALL THE TIME!!!

Just starting with Final Cut
    I got the dv creators final cut pro course on dvd and when I try to play the lessons I get the warning
    one or more frames were dropped during playback
    ALL THE TIME!

I get this on both my Power book G4 laptops.

Also get it when I try to capture footage from camera.

Ive got an external hard drive but do I need more memory or something.

Very grateful for any help

13. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Have you tried all the troubleshooting suggestions? Dropped frames are a pain in the hole but your problem doesn't sound the what the rest of us are experiencing.

On the note of the 10.4.9 bug, it sound like Apple have been notified but for now most people are just buying the FCE HD 3.5 upgrade. Something I'm not prepared to do at this stage.

I'm usually good at avoiding System point updates when they first come out but this time my brain was elsewhere.

14. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Your problem is a different one. Are you getting the dropped frame in playback in the canvas or the viewer?

15. iJED DV macrumors member

iJED DV

Keep getting Dropped Frame Error

I recently began getting a similar error. If you check the Capture Settings in the Log and Capture menu, what is your Device Control set to? I used to be able to use "Firewire BASIC" and control the device from the Log and Capture playback controls. Now, when I try to capture footage, it gives me the dropped frames error or captures but the video appears to stall and it loses several frames of video before continuing.

I discovered that switching the Device Control to "Non-Controllable Device" allowed me to capture without losing frames or getting errors. Only bad part is having to babysit the logging process.

16. MacUser37 macrumors newbie

This is a big problem with 10.4.9 and Final Cut Express 3

Hi All

I am a new macrumours blogger but a regular reader.

There is a significan problem with Finla Cut 3HD and below and Final Cut Pro 4.5 and below.

I noticed big problems of capture of footage. Emailed Tech suppport and this is the reply.

Link: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n305284

Final Cut Pro 4.5 and Final Cut Express 3.0: Issues with Mac OS X 10.4.9
    Issue

Final Cut Pro 4.5 and Final Cut Express 3.0 may drop frames when attempting to capture video if Mac OS X 10.4.9 is installed. Final Cut Pro 5 and Final Cut Express 3.5 are not affected by this issue.

Affected Products:

Mac OS X 10.4.9
    Final Cut Pro 4.5 and earlier
    Final Cut Express 3.0 and earlier
    Solution

Currently, Apple is recommending against running Final Cut Pro 4.5 or Final Cut Express 3.0 in Mac OS X 10.4.9.

Archive and install Mac OS X to revert your operating system to Mac OS X 10.4.8.

This document will be updated as more information becomes available.

Not the reply I was hoping for.

Cheers

17. GlennPape macrumors newbie

Dropped Frames in FinalCutExpress 3.0

I am having the same issue as the others with the dropped frames. I am very grateful for the information on this site, and learning about the issue with OS 10.4.9. Archiving and installing a lower version of the Apple OS seems quite a hassle, and the issue is avoided in FinalCust Express 3.5

I am considering upgrading to Finalcut Express 3.5. But I have a PowerBook G4 running an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics card, and the system requirements for FC 3.5 is, per Apple, "an AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme, or an Intel GMA integrated graphics processor in a MacBook or Mac mini."

A friend of mine said he would be surprised if FC 3.5 wouldn't run on my Powerbook G4, but my card is an ATI.

So, does anyone have an opinion on whether: 1) you think FC 3.5 would run on my system? and 2) if not, whether it would be worthwhile to get a new graphics card?

18. Figory macrumors member

dropping frames

I was just told that the reason I cant use the dvcreators dvd of lessons in FCP
    OR any footage Ive shot because I keep getting the dropped frame error
    is because I cant use Final Cut Express on my G4 poweer book. Its Mac osx
    processor 1 GHz PowerPC G4. 768 MB DDR SDRAM. They said this was too slow and therefore kept dropping frames. Is this true?? Its driving me crazy. Also not sure Im trashing prefferences correctly. Also I do have another hard drive, but maybe Im not using that properly either. At this stage I have lost all faith!

19. gamera~ macrumors member