Keep HD partitons unmounted

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bobdude161, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

After a failed experiement, I now have a couple of small partitions of my HD mounted on my desktop. I used Disk Utility to unmount them, but of course when I restart, there they are taking up desktop space. How do I keep them out of sight?

2. reubs macrumors 68000

I've had this same problem before, and I got one of them to unmount and never show up, but it also became unusable/unfindable. Unfortunately I'm not even sure how I did that much.

Sorry.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you just don't want to see them on the desktop, rename them to a name with a period at the beginning. e.g. ".Windows". If the partition is read only (i.e. NTFS) you might have to do this from Windows.

It'll still be mounted, and accessible from Finder, just not visible on your desktop.

B

4. glennp macrumors member

You can make them not appear on the desktop by simply unchecking Hard Disks in the "Show these items on the Desktop" section in the General tab of the Finder Preferences. The drives will still be accessible and will show up in the sidebar of a Finder window though (although I believe you can remove them from the sidebar also by right-clicking on them).

If you want them to not automount when you boot, I can't say for sure. There might be some way to change the automount property using terminal but I can't find anything at the moment.

5. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161