Keep iBook, buy iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gafferbee, May 30, 2005.

1. gafferbee macrumors newbie

May 7, 2005
    London, UK
    I'm going crazy here hankering after an iMac. I said to myself last year that I'd get myself a G5 when the next update came out with Tiger. Now that's here and I want one. I also have the money, but reckon I could spend it on much more responsible things.

I already have a G3 iBook that is about 2.5 yrs old, which I reckon is feeling the strain of all the photos, music and movies I ask it to process. Plus it doesn't have a DVD burner, which I'd love right now.

But my world wouldn't stop turning if I didn't get the iMac. I'd just be richer, with more space in my room.

Tell me, please, is it morally right for someone who works day after day in an office with PCs to spend his hard earned money on a computer that he doesn't really need but desperately wants?

ps I used to want the 17" but now I'm looking at the 20"... and I really don't have room for that!

Oh and I dont want to sell the iBook cos it's worth more to me working than it is as a few hundred pounds in my pocket (they cost a lot a couple of years back, remember!)

Sorry for the ramblerant. ;)
  2. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    My advice to you is hold out until you really need it or want it if you're so unsure. I did the same thing when the iPod minis came out, I wanted one so desperately, but I ended up selling it within three weeks (I still had my 20GB at the time).

However, your iBook is getting some years on it, though you say it works fine. If you think it suits all your needs, why don't you hang onto your money so when you do need to upgrade you'll have more cash saved up AND you'll need it, so you'll enjoy it more instead of wondering what you'd do if you at the $1800? If you really think it doesn't suit your needs -- splurge a little!

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I would say hold out but that'd be a bit hypocritical. I've got a G4 iBook that is in no way struggling with my needs but last week I bought a new iMac anyway. I still use them both regularly which is weird because I thought I'd abandon the iBook pretty quickly.

Go into an Apple Store and check them out. At these prices, you can't afford not to buy one. :D
  4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Go out and buy it, and you'll be glad you did...

Also, if you want, just get the 17" instead of the 20" and spend the rest for iBook upgrades (100 GB HD, 1 GB RAM...)
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Morally right? I would call it imperative. But then again I believe in a fundamental right to copious amounts of dark chocolate, so I'm kind of a bad point of reference. :eek:
  6. deebster macrumors 6502

Oct 21, 2004
    Olde Englande
    I'm in the same boat mate

If you say it's OK for me, I'll do the same for you.

Morals and responsibility are great and all that, but this is a new Mac we are talking about. Life and death? No, it's much more important than that.

7. BenAKL macrumors member

Mar 27, 2005
    Join the Club

I have an iMac Rev B G5 2.0 20" and an iBook G4 1.2Ghz. Both are connected with Airport Extreme.

Both are fine and the iBook is running just as quick as the iMac. I use the iBook in bed, usually using Word or surfing the net.

I also use an Airport Express to play my music thru my stereo.

SO! Get in line and join the club! :D
  8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would go for the iMacs. There a great computer at a great price. Plus having a laptop and desktop is an awesome setup.

Plus you get other benefits such as a file server for your iBook to access as i believe you probably gonna run out of room on the iBook's hardrive. I know i am.

Im in the same position, i don't need it but it's oh so nice. I just waiting towards the begining of next year when i get into uni (well at least try). Or if i feel the need to buy now, im heading this way at the moment :eek:
  9. gafferbee thread starter macrumors newbie

May 7, 2005
    London, UK
    Thanks for all your encouragement (!)... I reckon I will get the iMac, and soon. Just need to re-organise my room a bit.

FYI, you all pretty much backed the arguments I've done myself - I already have the airport express, the 160GB HD, the extra ram, I bought all of those over the past year to put off the day of reckoning. Now I think it's here.

So I too can browse the web in bed and downstairs with my iBook and use the iMac for pretty much everything else... or things I hadn't thought of yet, I suppose.

I'll let you know when I take the plunge. Unless I change my mind ;)
  10. BenAKL macrumors member

Mar 27, 2005
  11. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    I'm about to buy a 17" iMac, so I will have an iMac and an iBook. I'll be a very happy boy. :) My dad rasied me on a PC since I was 9 (I'm 16 now.) I got into video editing in school and decided I had to have an iBook. I got it for Christmas, and I will never buy a PC again. I'm a total born-again Machead. Now that I read MacRumors I'm totally craving for a more powerful iMac to go along with my iBook, since the iBooks are going to be updated soon and I will feel outdated. I think I'm gonna get it.
  12. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm got that setup

I've got a 20" imac g5 rev a and a 1.2 12" ibook and love the setup. The 20" really does not take up that much room because it is not a very deep profile. I think you will enjoy it a lot. Now if I could only afford one of those el gato setups.