Keep laptop and desktop in sync

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Soverc, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Soverc macrumors member

I have searched but found nothing. Certain I can not be the only one wanting to do this. I would like to keep MAIL, Contacts and the documents folder in sync between a laptop and desktop.

One thought is useing CVS on desktop and have the laptop checkin and out. This seems like a messy way to go.

I would love to bring laptop home, turn on, it synchs and I use desktop, I put laptop to sleep and prior to sleep it checks in and syncs up.

Am I asking for to much ?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I use .Mac for this very purpose. It even has the ability to sync more information than you asked for but the downside is the fact it's only 1GB of space in total. This can be doubled but at a hefty price and the base .Mac package is hardly cheap to start with. Maybe look into it all the same. :)

3. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

yeh now one bad side about .mac THEY DONT SUPPORT WINDOWS 2003, anywho i also would like to know this answer, im sure theres software out there to do it

4. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

Why would it?

It's called .mac

5. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

yeh well some parts of .mac such as the idisk has a windows version so you can sync files accross the 2, but as i said it wont run on my pc becuase of its windows version

6. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

What's Windows 2003? Do you mean 2000?

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You can access your iDisk through the web now through IE. No need for installing anything on your PC so I guess that should work in 2003.

Go to www.mac.com and look for iDisk in the left hand column. Click the little global icon next to it, you'll be prompted for .mac username and password, and you'll have access to the iDisk - upload and download.

8. Soverc thread starter macrumors member

Without .mac

Anyone doing this without .mac ? Not a matter of money, I would just prefer not to have client info and billing on someone elses machine.

Has anyone used CVS for what I am wanting to do ?

9. blackstone macrumors regular

What about writing a script that uses rsync?