Keep MAC mini G4 or get Intel mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simonaut, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. simonaut macrumors newbie

    Mar 6, 2006
    So the friday before the announcement of the new Intel MAC Mini I ordered a G4 mac mini. Should I return it and get the new Mac mini, it will cost me 40 bucks and a week and a half without a mac? Oh and apple is willing to give me a free keyboard if I keep it! Any thoughts?
  2. mdavey macrumors 6502a


    Nov 1, 2005
    Keep it (unless you are a student that qualifies for Apple's discount). Right now, it is better value than the Intel.
  3. paddy macrumors 6502a


    Jun 25, 2005
    Exactly, right now it is but it will become outdated within the next year or two. For 40 bucks extra you will get a lot longer lasting machine than you have now. It mightn't be able to keep up with non-universal apps without more ram but when the Universal binaries come out you will get your money's worth.

    Unless of course you plan on using only your old apps and not buying anymore.
  4. sw1tcher macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    Has the G4 mini been opened? If so, I'm surprised they're not going to charge you a restocking fee for it. You may want to check on that.

    If there's no restock fee, I'd go with the Intel mini unless you use and have a lot of PPC-based programs and don't plan to upgrade to Universal equivalents when they're released. The G4 mini will easily last you for a couple of years. Just max the RAM out and you'll be fine.

    In a year or two you can sell it and get something better. Or, keep it as a second machine.
  5. gunm macrumors member

    Jan 23, 2006
    Core Duo or Solo? If it's the Duo, I'd go for that--at least if you're interested in using your Mini as a media center. If you want to use current software like Photoshop, or plan to stick to basic computing tasks like web, email, and word processing, I'd keep the G4 and invest in an Intel Mini at a later date when the unit is refreshed again with better specs.
  6. AstrosFan macrumors 6502


    Jul 26, 2005
    I agree with Paddy to go with the Intel mini.
    Unless the week-and-a-half are critical for you to have the computer, I think it's a relative bargain.
    For $40 and waiting less than 2 weeks, you get the latest version of the computer - even if there wasn't a switch to Intel, I think it'd be worth it.
    In the long run especially, I think the Intel mini will hold its resale value better.
    The free keyboard isn't enough to change my mind.

    Good luck with your decision!

Share This Page