Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
I tried Insomniax and Caffeine. They both seem to not work, when I close the lid the notebook sleeps. I am planning on buying a 40" Tv, wireless keyboard and mouse + 5 foot HDMI to mini-display port cord so I can come back to my dorm, plug into the TV and shut the lid, and basically have a desktop.

Lion doesn't seem to work with these? Or the Air? Anyone tried this on Lion. I never tried to use these programs on SL.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You will be able to do that, it just doesn't like to stay awake unless a keyboard or mouse is there, or if it isn't plugged into the wall. It may also require the display to be plugged in.

Last edited:

87racer

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Oregon
I tried Insomniax and Caffeine. They both seem to not work, when I close the lid the notebook sleeps. I am planning on buying a 40" Tv, wireless keyboard and mouse + 5 foot HDMI to mini-display port cord so I can come back to my dorm, plug into the TV and shut the lid, and basically have a desktop.

Lion doesn't seem to work with these? Or the Air? Anyone tried this on Lion. I never tried to use these programs on SL.

Yes it requires a keyboard AND mouse AND display to be plugged in. I too have tried insomiax and caffeine and even sleepless with no success. sleepless did keep it awake for like 5 minutes but then it slept.

didn't do too much more trying with sleepless but you might try disabling your display and computer sleep in energy saver then using sleepless. or just wait for a lion compatible version or leave the lid open a little with the backlight off.

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Do a google search for InsomiaT. It's a fork of InsomniaX that has a system pref pane and works on Snow Leopard. I use it on Lion, works fine. It's in system prefs, so less menu bar clutter! :D

87racer

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Oregon
Do a google search for InsomiaT. It's a fork of InsomniaX that has a system pref pane and works on Snow Leopard. I use it on Lion, works fine. It's in system prefs, so less menu bar clutter! :D

Awesome! I have been needing something but settling for leaving it cracked open.

right after installing it didn't work so I ran sudo kextload /system/library/extensions/insomniat.kext and it works great. A restart probably would have worked but who has an extra 20 seconds to spare? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.