Keep old iPod Updaters?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wPod, Sep 8, 2005.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

So, I have been cleaning off my small 40GB drive, to free up some space (I was down to 2GB free). I know how important it is to keep free space for virtual memory. I noticed a very large file in the utlities folder of applications. The iPod Software Updater folder. Mine is currently 400MB which seems like a lot to me. So, my question is, do I need all of the old updaters? they date back to April of 2004. Would I need them if I had a catostrophic iPod failure? or would the latest and greatest iPod updater from June of 05 be ok? That way I could delete the others and free up some space! Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

400MB! :eek:

Keep the most recent one that is known to work flawlessly, that should be enough IMO. :)

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'd say keep the most recent updater and the one before it, in case any bugs are discovered in the newer one.

4. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

i deleted all except the 2 most recent. that hacked away 300mb which is good. now to go through and delete all the videos that i pulled off my digital camera and never watch! that should be another 200mb or so.

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Fall cleaning is always good.

I myself just dumped 3GBs worth of documents/photos/music off my G4.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Back them up. You never know when you might need to go back. And it sucks to one day need them and know you deleted them yourself... Trust me.