Keep Powerbook On All The Time?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by supafly1703, Sep 24, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

Just ordered a new Powerbook, wondering if I can leave it on all the time like the iMac G4 I have. Or is this kind of behavior not good for laptops?

2. macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Go ahead and leave it on, shouldn't be a problem at all. I barely ever turn mine off, although I do tend to use the sleep function quite often. Just make sure you follow Apple's battery guidelines and you should be fine.

3. macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Mines always on....unless I shut it off. *;o)

4. macrumors 68030

risc

My PowerBook only gets rebooted for updates and OS upgrades. If I need to power it down I close the lid, it goes to sleep. It is all GOOD!

5. macrumors 68030

My PowerBook G4 is always on, so no worries. :) My desk is very warm, though... LOL

6. macrumors 68020

ham_man

Just make sure to calibrate it every month...:)

7. iDM
    macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I am not exaggerating when i say my PowerBook has only been turned off for at most a couple days, once or twice a year. Bottom line I bought it 2 years ago and the thing is still kicking fine no signs of degradation from such steady use. However it's a fact of life that the monitor will die sooner, unless you put it to sleep at night, its funny but i guess you could argue you wouldn't survive if you were left on or awake for 5 years straight.

8. macrumors regular

ajampam

Man, these things can go on forever....I have not really seen any signs of sluggishness either....but I do like to shut it down if I am lugging it around....just my thing I guess :eek: ....use it as you want, they adapt to you :D

9. macrumors 6502a

bursty

I know most of you leave it on all the time but I think its good to restart every few days. That at least empties the swap file, right? Should make things run a little quicker.

10. macrumors member

Yes, it does erase and rebuild the swap file.

However, the swap file is "emptied" as programs let go of the memory pages that have been swapped out. I'm not sure under precisely which circumstances the kernel will physically shrink the swap file, but I have seen it shrink while the machine was on.

Really, though, the size of the swap file won't impact the speed of the machine. It only eats disk. Not having enough disk for your required swap, on the other hand, will tank your performance.

11. macrumors 6502

mjbts-powerbook-g4-12:~ Marlon_JBT$ uptime
    2:14 up 15 days, 4:39, 2 users, load averages: 2.01 1.79 1.44

:D

I rarely ever turn mine off... or restart it. No reason to. :) Just put it to sleep.