Keep Powerbook or go G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Idioteque, Jun 17, 2005.

  1. Idioteque macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2005
    #1
    Hey guys,
    I am a college senior and a multimedia and Radio/TV major. Right now I have a 1 ghz 80 gig 768 ram powerbook. I only have about 15 gigs free on it right now and am running tiger.

    My question is should I upgrade to a G5 or just add another 512 ram and get an external HD. With this Intel deal happening should I wait till the new generation of g5's arrive and make due with my pb.

    Thanks
    john
     
  2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #2
    Just boost the RAM and get a external HD,, if you change to a G5 it will cost you money and you will loose the portability of your powerbook..

    ShadOW :cool:
     
  3. superbovine macrumors 68030

    superbovine

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2003
    #3
    depends if you need portability and what application you are running.
     
  4. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

    _bnkr612

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2004
    #4
    Idioteque-

    If you can get your hands on a refurb dual 1.8 or 2.0 with 768 or + RAM, you won't have as much remorse if YOU feel the intel switch will impact the way you produce your work. In 2007 sometime, your career might lead you to being able to afford a new Intel machine if you really need it. Don't be scared of the future switch, I don't see it affecting anyone as much as the hype claims.

    The only thing that would hurt would be not having the new system right away for myself!

    Keep the PB as your sidekick.

    Cheers.
     
  5. kant macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2004
    #5
    Get the G5.

    Now, how much for the PB?

    :cool:
     
  6. Manzana macrumors 6502a

    Manzana

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2004
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #6
    i think pb + ram + ext hd is much better choice for now. your pb is still current, and i believe you can get at least 1 more year of use out of it. the ext hd will help you out a lot if you use it as a scratch/storage disk.

    i think it's worthwhile waiting for now, is there a program you are thinking of running that you feel your current pb cannot handle?
     
  7. Eevee macrumors 6502a

    Eevee

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Location:
    New Haven, CT
    #7
    Agree, keep the pb and add RAM and Ext HD. Unless, $$ is not a problem for you...
     

Share This Page