1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Keep PowerMac G5 or Upgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tytanic11, Apr 25, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I've got a PowerMac G5 with the following specs:
    - 2.0 ghz single CPU
    - 1.5 gb memory
    - 750gb hard drive
    - Superdrive

I use the computer for some Photoshop, a little bit of video editing, and occasionally ripping DVDs for playback on my iPod touch. It seems a bit slow when working with video - should I be looking at a Mac Pro ? or will adding additional memory help?

Also, I want to be able to burn dual layer DVDs.. is it possible to buy a DL superdrive and install it ?

2. macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Your computer already has a dual layer DVD burner.

3. macrumors member

In System Profiler > Disc Burning , it does not list dual layer as a type that can be written.. that's what I was going off of. Will it work anyway?

4. macrumors 6502a

iGrant

It seems alot of people are asking this question and here is what I keep telling people. I would recommend keeping your Power Mac G5, its a wonderful computer with plenty of life still in it. Here is what I would do to help speed you your computer however, I would max the ram out.

Here is the link to the ram I got for my Power Mac DUal G5 1.8Ghz:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220030

I love this Patriot Ram and at 29.99 for 1gb stick, its a great price. However keep in mind that in a Power Mac G5 you have to install Ram in pairs. I think the Power Mac G5 2.0Ghz had 8 ram slots . . . can't remember exactly you can just go to System Profiler and look.

Anyways, I would max the ram out, which will either be 4gb or 8gb. If you can put 8 ram sticks in your Power Mac G5, it will only cost your 239.92 plus shipping. I know that should like a lot of money, but the speed increase you will see will amaze you.

My Power Mac Dual G5 1.8Ghz is the model that can take 8 ram slots came with 512mb of ram. Let me tell you, I saw a huge performance increase when I went from 512mb to 2gb. I then saw another increase when I went from 2gb to 4gb and the when I went from 4gb to 8gb, note all using the Patriot ram, I never felt like my Power Mac G5 was bogging down. The G5 had so much ram that it rarely has to use the hard drive as extra ram.

Also I tip for Photoshop, Adobe really recommend you have a second hard drive that can be used as a scratch disk I believe. Here is the link:
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=317280

I would get a small secondary hard drive for this Scratch Disk, for example this hard drive from newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148231

I would not use that hard drive for anything except the scratch disk in Photoshop. I do not deal with Photoshop at all really, but my father is a Professional Photographer and he lives in Photoshop. I installed the second hard drive in his Mac for this purpose and he says he say a significant speed increase in Photoshop.

OH if you really want a Dual Layer burner, just get this one from Other World Computing for 32 bucks:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Pioneer/DVR115DBK/

*UPDATE* I fixed the wrong links, sorry about that! *UPDATE*

I hope this helps!!!

-iGrant

5. macrumors 65816

Hm. If you're doing serious video editing, you might be running out of memory, though possibly not. Throwing in another gig or two wouldn't hurt if that's the case.

By single 2.0, I assume you mean a single dual-core 2.0? That's still pretty fast.

Btw, if you're in Tiger, you might want to stay there.... Leopard sped up Intel-based Macs, but slowed down PowerPCs.

And yeah, you should have a dual-layer drive..

P.S., you can put up to 16 GB in a dual-core 2.0 G5. I could absolutely swear it's possible to hit 16 GB with your computer, too, iGrant, even though it wasn't documented by apple... but I could be wrong.

6. macrumors 6502a

iGrant

I found Leopard to work faster on my Power Mac G5 that Tiger. Also Apple never made a single processor Power Mac G5 2.0Ghz. If his Power Mac is the 2.0Ghz, its a dual processor G5 or a dual core G5.