Keep processes from starting up at startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bobdude161, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I have a couple of Lexmark drivers that wreak havoc on my 400 mhz G4 and I just want to delete the Lexmark Printer Monitors (a.k.a. X5100 Button Monitor and Lexmark X73 Monitor) from the process list that startup automatically at startup. Is there something in the terminal I can do? I don't want to uninstall the drivers completely cuz I do use the printers for regular printing and they work fine without the processes.

2. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

go to /library/startup items/ and drag the startup items you want not enabled to another folder (like the desktop, or Statrtup Items Disabled). Reboot to see if things work fine, printing, etc. and then you may delete them/archive them as you wish. Note these files seldom take more than a few hundred KB of space, so I'd keep them in the event that you need them.

3. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Is there any way to add a program to taht? I tried it, but it said it cannot be modified. I want to be able to load XEE picture viewer, because I use it all too often. I would also like to add a few other programs, are there any ways to do this?

4. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

system prefs > accounts > login items.

you can add/delete any apps you want at startup

5. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Those are account login items, not sytem startup processes.

6. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

I have some processes that start on startup but don't appear in either /Library/Startup or login items, is there a way of removing them?

7. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

In terms of the OP, your drivers may be in one of these five locations (covered by Lingon), but more than likely they are to be found under /Library/Printers/Lexmark -- this should contain the offending drivers/software. Moving the files in and out of there should enable/disable them at startup. Before moving things in and out wily-nily, however, I'd suggest you try doing some of the things listed in this thread. This will give you the path of the app, from there you should be able to move it from that location to prevent it from starting.

However, there's also launchd, to which I wrote up an overly long (but not nearly long enough to scratch the surface) post over here a few weeks ago. Suffice to say, Lingon by Peter Borg, should point you in the right direction for bootup processes. launchd is one of the miraculous things about 10.4 that just doesn't get enough credit.