Keep running programs out of dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by allisonv7, Dec 28, 2006.

1. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I've been wondering if there's any way to keep a program out of the dock when it's running? I prefer to keep my dock as small as possible and with a couple programs that I run constantly (stickies, adium) I dont really need an icon in the dock.

Is there a fix/tweak for this?

Thanks!

allison.

2. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

i had the same problem. i solved it by taking out the apps i use less frequently and putting aliases for them into a folder and putting the folder in the dock.

3. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Hi Allison,
    Not that I know off ..... sorry :(

Greets from Ireland

Dave :)

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

only two options i can think of are to do the folder idea, which seems like a last resort or to use dock hiding and hide the whole thing.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There's an app called Dockless that can do this. I haven't used it, and it hasn't been updated in a long time, but I have heard of people having success with it.

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

The nice thing about doing that is you can icon-ize your folder so that you know that it has those utilities/programs in it... I might do that, create aliases for my photos, music, web, messengers, developer tools, utilities, and that, I have like 54 icons in my dock.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

But this doesn't solve the problem of having them in the Dock while they're running, which is what the OP is asking about.

I have my Applications folder in my Dock, so I have quick access to everything. (But I'm getting so many apps now that I may have to pare it down a bit and go with the "aliases of selected apps" route.)

8. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

here is a link to 'Dockless"

9. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I use dockless to keep the icon for Hardware Growler out of the dock and it has worked great for me.