Keep spyware from phoning home?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LethalWolfe, Jul 1, 2002.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

For my PC I keep Zone Alarm (software fire wall) running 'cause it asks me if I want to let proggie X access the internet. Is there somethign like this for the OS X?

Lethal

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

hardware is best.

Get a hardware firewall and set it to not let such crap through.

I have a very safe, closed network, here at home for both my Mac and peecee (when I bother to power it up). I also power down the TiBook when I am done for the evening, so I don't have to worry about it when I am away either. The new Airport base station is very nice, especially since it has a firewall integrated into it.

3. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Alpha,

Do you ever sleep? :p

I use the SMC Barricade 4port router/switch to share broadband between my machines, and it does have firewall functionality. Unfortunetly I don't have any working firewall knowledge. Do you know of any good "firewall for dummies" sites?

Lethal

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Nope, sorry... Firewall for dummies= Airport base station... :D Easy config. and has the ports closed unless you open them up. Check out the manual that came with the router. IF you really MUST get firewall software for the Mac, check what Symantec has to offer. I am NOT saying buy it, look at it. I'm sure there is a fairly easy way to set your router with stiffer protection... Sort of like an extra-strength condom for it. :D

Yes, I do sleep, just waiting for it to cool down a little tonight. I am not going to give it much longer before turning on the AC... then need to take a 'cool-down' shower before bed. Hotter then a brass cup that has been left out in the sun in the middle of summer...

5. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

Barricade

On your Barricade, go to 192.168.2.1 (or if you set the router to a different address, go there.) type the admin password, then click "setup" at the top, then click "firewall". make sure this is set to Yes, then click the apply button. this will block most of the nasty stuff :)