Keep videos on ipod, not computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AlbinoPigeon, Jan 26, 2007.

1. AlbinoPigeon macrumors member

I just got my first video ipod and i've been enjoying watching TV shows on my 1 hours bus ride to school. But what annoys me is that i'm running out of space on my computer because of all the videos (I am in Canada and can't buy TV shows, so I dl them and convert them myself). I was wondering: Is there any way to delete videos from iTunes after syncing, but still keep them on the iPod (even after I sync a few days later?) There is so much space on my ipod (60 gigs) and so little on my mac book (5 gigs) that I would love to move my shows over and then keep them there for as long as I want.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I am assuming you are running iTunes 7.

When you plug your iPod in, iTunes boots. Click on your iPod in the left column, click TV shows, and deselect the box which says Sync. Transfer all the clips to your iPod, and delete them from your computer. Repeat with movies if you want the same with those as well.

If you still need them on your computer, i recommend recompressing them with iSquint. You can reduce the file size quite dramatically with that program :)

3. AlbinoPigeon thread starter macrumors member

Brilliant! Thanks so much!!

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

any time :)

5. AlbinoPigeon thread starter macrumors member

Actually, running into a problem. I have to select 'manually manage music' for this to work. If I do that, I have to keep managing all my tunes well...which is a pain. Is there a way for itunes to auto-sync all my music, but let me manage things like podcasts and movies?

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Unfortunately, this is an all-or-nothing proposition. iTunes doesn't distinguish between file types.

Edit: What if you keep syncing on, but check the box next to 'only sync checked items', then uncheck all the boxes for your movies?