Keeping a Low Profile??

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ryan1524, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

are you??

ever worry what people might think if you show up with say a 15" Powerbook in a library or lecture hall full of pen and papers, or 2" thick Toshibas...

i know we shouldn't care about what people thinks. but have you ever felt uncomfortable or as if people are talking behind your back about you having too much money and showing off with your gadgets?? although we know that having a nice machine does not mean we're made of money or we're shoing off, i have friends who have that attitude and i wonder if i will someday be the subject of that scrutiny. how do you keep a low profile and not appear like a show-off while still enjoying your neat gadgets?

so...what do you think?? :(

2. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I'm a fan of the old school pen and paper as many know, that's because it:
    a) can't crash,
    b) it doesn't require time to boot up,
    c) doesn't need a power source,
    d) important work can't suddendly disapear,
    e) doesn't require a printer,
    f) Hand writting assignments is faster,
    g) It costs $0.80AUD for 128 page exersize book and about the same for a blue pen,
    h) I'd find having a computer in a lecture too distracting and would probabley not pay attention.

Just a few thoughts as to why I still use a exersize book, a pen and a diary, and not a $3000AUD laptop.

3. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

actually i agree with this. in terms of science and math notes. for those subjects with the crazy diagrams and graphs, nothing beats pen and paper.

i'm talking more about a cafe or library situation...besides, if you really ahve to use your laptop in the lecture hall, i bet everyone will have to bring one too, and the envy level won't be as high since you won't be the only one with a 3000$ machine there. :p (althou i'm sure there's still some)

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

If I need to take my computer to the library I do it.

I have a Pismo and it is getting a bit heavy to take it outside just to show it off.

I bet there are many people that takes their computer because they have a tv comertial in their head still, like the ones that get a computer because they are gonna edit video on a plane now.

I'm not a lover of a paper and the pen, specially in my room. But if I have to go out I take the paper and the pen of course, the rest of the information is in my cell phone.

BTW, I do not need an iPod neither, all mu music is in my head and I can remix it in the way I want too:D

I'm a tech free I think.

5. jadariv macrumors regular

I take my powerbook down to this sandwich/coffee shop sometimes if I am bored of sitting in my home office.

I never feel weird about having the powerbook out, but I never let people look at what I am doing, because if it's work that means I am working on a commercial or movie and I don't want people hanging over my shoulder.

And I would never, ever go to a coffee shop to write. Sometimes I walk down to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf by my office in Brentwood and people have their scripts out everywhere. It always seems annoying and desperate when people do that, like they want you to see all the work they are doing by writing a script.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i don't flaunt, only cause i dont want to rub it in there faces. i have friends with pc equipment, i feel bad enough for them as it is- i dont need to show off my fun, easy to use, no-blue-screen-of-death gadgets.

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Personally, I like to keep a low profile. It's not so much that I worry what people think, but I don't want to be jacked walking home with my PB in my backpack. I used to have a Tungsten T, and it genuinly felt awkwared pulling it out in class. It's always best not to stand out in terms of material possesions.

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

yeah, no matter what anyone says, drawing a synthesis by hand is SO MUCH faster than chemdraw...actually, I think everyone would agree to this one.

but I'd say the same is true for english class. I like to draw arrows and make my own comments about stuff, etc., and just spatially, I find that it's easier to do whatever it is I do by hand.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

9. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck