Keeping a program on top?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illegalprelude, Aug 26, 2006.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Heres a question, usually when I do things, I multi-task like a mad man. Currently I got mail and iCal in the background, iTunes minimized, chatting on Adium, a Music video playing on Quicktime, checking some sites via Safari and some via Firefox (firefox is just worlds faster then safari on some portals) and so i always have alot going on screen for me.

Is there anyways to tell a perticular program to stay on top. for example, during all of this, I wish for Quicktime to stay on top so i can watch the video's while i do all my other tasts instead of it slipping behind all the clutter.

2. projectle macrumors 6502

There are many applications avaliable that will do it...
    Some free, some not quite so free.

Personally, I like WindowShadeX by Unsanity (one of the paid apps) because it adds support for changing shadows, having windows minimize in place, as well as add support for variable grid spacing for folder item sorting (currently in the Leopard preview, though).

In that place, you put your mouse over the window and then tap <CMD><CMD> and the window will remain always on top.

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

any names or links to the free-ware programs? I would do a search myself on google or version tracker but I dont even know what to type for a search :confused: :D

4. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ok ive indeed have downloaded the program and I cannot make it work for the life of me. Ive even installed and booted over.

Under "Window", I dont see Afloat at all. Ive enabeled the program too from Prefrence. Not sure what the deal is. Ive launched and relaunched programs as its wanted me to. Ive tried it on adium, Safari, FireFox, DVD player, Mail, iTunes. Nada :confused:

5. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Well it is a pre-release. You should email the developer.

If you want to pay $10, use windowshadex, it works
    flawlessly on my ppc. There is a universal beta out
    but I have yet to use it.