keeping a window in front at all times.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by believo, Oct 12, 2004.

1. believo macrumors regular

believo

does anyone know how to keep a window (from a program your not working in) in front at all times? For example if your watching a movie in a window but want to edit a photoshop file in another.
    thanks

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I know you can do this in Stickies (Command-Option-F), but I don't think in any application. Can you play movies in Stickies?
    –Chase

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

short of making your "working" window smaller so you have enough empty space to see the movie in the background, i can't think of a way. it really is contrary to the way OS is supposed to work... i mean, if you are working on something, that's something you are supposed to be paying attention to... no?

4. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

haha... yeah i guess your right

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

but it's definitely not a bad idea if we could somehow set up a temporary "priority" area... like you can dedicate a quarter of the screen to a certain app and within that area, the specified app window will remain on top.

afterall, dock already floats over regular windows and we learn to shift windows around if we need to access what's below the dock.

hmm, maybe you should email apple your idea!

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

This has to enabled within the app.
    Use VLC as your movie player and select: Video>Float on Top.

7. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I realize this is an extremely old thread, but I found a solution that might help those who find this later.

Afloat

It works perfectly for me and has many other features too!

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm just sayin'

your = belonging to you

you're = you are

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I understand your purpose in posting this, but the OP was obviously on a much earlier version of Mac OS and Afloat wasn't even created until 4 years after this thread was abandoned.
    You do realize this thread is 5 years old, and the OP hasn't been on this site for over a year and a half, so he probably won't benefit from your grammar lesson, right?

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

:D Maybe someone else will. I don't pay much attention to the dates unless someone mentions that in a post.