Keeping all your apps tidy

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by JupiterZen, Apr 1, 2003.

1. JupiterZen macrumors regular

I was wondering how you all organize your apps under OS X.

On OS 9 I used to make my very own directory structure for all my apps. This was sorted by application type. So I had a "Graphics" folder for Photoshop/Debabelizer/stuff like that. A "Video" folder for Premiere/AfterEffects. "Audio" for my Cubase/Editors/Librarians. And "Utilities" for all the miscellanious utils (Toast/HDT/BBEdit). Then I used FinderPop to access the lot as menu from my desktop.

Now on OS X I would like to use the "Applications" folder that was given to me and access it like a menu with Fruitmenu. But with every Apple app in the root of that folder it becomes a bit of a mess when I start adding my own. And moving the Apple apps into selfcreated subfolders along with the rest of my apps isn't very handy when you use Software Update (which just puts the updated items back in the root).

I'm not very keen on creating a seperate menustructure with only aliases in them, because that gives you two structures to maintain.

So how do you guys here keep it tidy and organized without to much hassle.

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I just freely put them all in the Applications folder and have it sort itself out alphabetically. It's worked for me so far.

3. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I created a subfodler for games in the applications folder, but eevrything else goes straight into applciations itself. No big issues, but you may have substantially more apps than I do.

4. comrade macrumors regular

The only problem I have with keeping all my Apps in the apps folder is that I like to put the Apps folder on my dock to be able to access a program at any given time by getting the drop-down menu, however the menu can be so slow sometimes to appear. I figure less apps, quicker menu apperance so maybe it's time to reorganize.

5. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

Just to test what would happen I have now created a folder /Applications/Apple and dropped all the default Apple apps in there along with the Ulilities folder. So everything that came with the OS is in there (except for the "System Preferences", because it cannot be moved unless you are root).

Next to the Apple folder I have made my own set (/Applications/Audio, /Applications/Graphics ... and so on).

First minor problem came up when using Software Update. Because iMovie is not in its default location, Software Update can't see it's already installed and offers the download of 3.0.2. (see picture)

I wonder what other problems might occur because I changed the location of default apps.

6. comrade macrumors regular

Software updae only works on Apple apps, correct? In that case you would just have to leae all Apple apps in the main directory and just create sub-directories for all other apps. Not as tidy but still should be an improvement.

7. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

Would be useful If I could tell Fruitmenu to sort the menus in the way Windows sorts it's explorer views. With all folders at the top of the list in alphabetical order and then the rest of the files.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i have everything but the apps that need to be on my boot volume in my Applications folder, which is actually linked to an external HD-- the apps that need to be on the boot volume are in a separate folder. it probably sounds confusing but it works well, altho i have the same complaint about SU- it deletes my link and installs the apps in a new Applications directory, sometimes only part of packages. really ****ty of apple, IMHO. anyway, since organization can be an issue, i just turn my 'recent applications' to 50 (again, why can't we go higher? i realize it's CPU intensive for some bizarre reason, still) and most of my apps, at least the 50 most used ones, are right there in my apple menu.

point is, OS X sucks for application organization. there, i said it...

if i were you, i'd just make a folder full of aliases of all of your apps, or a folder with Audio, Video etc folders inside, with aliases inside of those folders. aliases are your friend, use them!

:)
    pnw

9. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

I now created a second Applications folder in the root called Apps and put all my installed software there. Keeping the original Apple OS X apps in the original Applications folder.

Looks tidy and keeps a clear seperation between the two, but it disappoints me that I can't use the framework Apple had come up with for organizing your applications. And having two folders for Apps like this doesn't feel perfect ;)

But that's just me being focused to much on insignificant details like this. My system hasn't crashed in weeks while using all these apps I'm trying to tidy up ;) :D :cool:

10. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

Sometimes aliases are indeed your friend (I use an alias of /Volumes to create a menu listing all mounted volumes in the Apple Menu using Fruitmenu), but IMHO using aliases in the way you suggest creates the same problem that Windows has with the Start Menu. You have to keep two structures organized. The real apps and the alias menu structure. The effort needed to create a second structure almost identical to one you already have and keep these two synced and up to date is IMO a silly waste of time.

;)

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    you don't need to launch Grab to take screen shots. Just do apple-shift-3 or 4. just like in os 9.

12. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

oh- here is mine. pretty self explanitory.

i moved sys prefs while logged in as root. no problems with it.

13. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

I know, I just felt like trying out the timer function of Grab.

14. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have almost the same configuration:
    Audio: DP, ProTools, etc
    Publishing: Photohop
    Tools: HackersHelper, Toast
    Video&Animation: After Effects, FCP
    Web: Flash, Hotline, Dreamweaver
    VJ: MotionDive, Arkaos, Artmatic

And I used to have an alias of the "Soft" partition in the Apple Menu Items.

I have now 4 partitions:
    OSX
    Soft
    Storage

That is in every computer, 2GB for every system, 6GB for software and the rest for storage.

There is always room for something and no desorder.

15. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

Nice ... and what about using Software Update? Any really serious problems besides the fact that it will think iMovie etc. is not yet installed. And that it will just put updated items in their default location?

16. applefan macrumors regular

JupiterZen

Why does your Apple menu have more options than mine? Mine don't have the System or Volumes option. I'd like to access my apps. from the apple menu.

17. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

Get Fruitmenu

;)

18. applefan macrumors regular

Thank You

Cool!

Thanks JupiterZen

19. JupiterZen thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Thank You

You're welcome ...

IMO it should be a standard part of OS X.

:cool:

20. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

when there is a new update, it just puts it in the apps directory. then i just simply copy it to the correct folder over the old app. never had a problem with it.

it doesn't continuously try to update either.

21. howard macrumors 68020

howard

the way i do it is really nice...i leave all my apps in the apps folder...and the ones i use i make aliases into a programs folder that i put on my dock..and i just right click or hold click on that folder and they come up in a nice menu...with the aliases i can name them whatever i want...put them in different sub folders and it doesn't matter if they need upgrading...theres no problems and there all right there

22. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

That's the way that I do it. One folder of aliases for programs and one for games. Hold click, and you get a nice alphabetical list.

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have a keyboard that is mega programmable, therefore I don't
    need to organize. I have a button on my keyboard for all the
    progs i use, and even the ones I don't use. ;) :rolleyes: :D

btw it is a logitech elite keyboard.

24. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i do the same sort of thing but - i use the dock. And it looks good to. It also makes drag-drop launching easy as it should be.

25. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

Re: Keeping all your apps tidy

simple solution.

create an Application Aliases folder in your applications folder. within that folder you can organize your apps according to task...graphics, communications, utilities, etc.

then, make aliases of your apps and put them into the appropriate folder. after that is done, drag the Application Aliases folder to the dock. now you can click and hold or to bring it up a bit faster i think you can control+click on it.