Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
Hey guys right now im working on a movie of mine...i am doing all the camera work myself..even underwater! :p its sweet..buit when im on land i have a problem holding the camera still..i dont have a tripod..but is there a way i can hold the camera PERFECTLY still i just put it on my shoulder..the camera im using is a sony.. i dont know much about cameras so this is all new to me...so are there any techniques i should be aware of? thanks...:) :apple: :)

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
i dont have a tripod..

There's your answer :)

Monopods are also really cool.

I've seen people improvise steady-cams before, but you really should get a Tripod.
If not, hold the camera firmly with both hands, don't use the LCD screen but the proper sight, and get a firm plant with your feet. You should be okay.

TheFuzz

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
LA
if you want it completely steady, the only way is with a tripod. you can probably find a monopod pretty cheap and it may work for you. also, zoom out. if you're zoomed it, it'll only multiply your camera shake.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
most of my comments repeat what has already been posted..

If holding, keep your zoom to a minimum. Look to see if your camera has a feature for movement, some cameras can minimize slight hand shakes movements through built in options.

Best method, tripod or a solid support. Also, use a remote for zooming and changing features.

VideoTour

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
New Mexico
..i dont have a tripod..

Okay, the obvious has been said. Depending upon which Sony camera, a simple tripod isn't that expensive. Heavier camera=more expensive support.

Almost anything is a steadier base than your shoulder (tabletops, car hoods, the ground, slow-moving tortoises.. or is it torti?:rolleyes: )
If you MUST shoot hand-held: Turn on your steady shot, don't zoom, breathe normally (no holding breath!), and .. if you must move .. walk on the balls of your feet. Wheelchairs, rolling carts, even an office chair can provide a base for smoother movement.

It won't look "professional," but if you can't go with a tripod you can at least minimize the negative impacts (unless you're actually going for that home-video look)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Almost anything is a steadier base than your shoulder (tabletops, car hoods, the ground, slow-moving tortoises.. or is it torti?:rolleyes: )

A creep of tortoises.

How about something like a step ladder, pretty much every house should have one of these so just borrow it and you should have a pretty stable base.

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
Thank you guys. After reading your comments and some thoughts for the best look I do feel it would be best to get a tripod. So yeah. Thanks to Much Ado for the tip on keeping my feet firm to the ground with agood stance.:) .. i dont know the model fo my camera..its onthere somewhere but i picked it up for 1500 and its like a big camera with all kinds of inputs..all i know is the quality is very high..it is an older camera though...but yeah...im trying to minimize the cost and the tripod will only be nessacery for a few scenes but it should help..what I have been doing is putting the camera on my shoulder....but that car idea was good too...lots of suggestions thank you :)

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Can't beat a tripod. A really good tripod. I had a middle quality pod give out on me and send my XL1 crashing to the ground with $800 worth of repair. Ouch. There is a fun volume of how to DIY steadi cam braces and such if you google for DIY steady cam. I built one from that book using rollerblade wheels and such. It was cheap money but also cheap quality compared to the real deal. Could be a way out for you. A good tripod is pricey and perhaps the next most important thing behind the lenses and camera.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Generally, in addition to the tripod suggestions, you can use something like a poor man's steadycam for the motion shots.

As a more personalized recommendation, if you find your just a little too tense while holding the camera...maybe take a little smoke?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.