Keeping iTunes 7.0.1 Synced on PC and Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by velocityg4, Oct 1, 2006.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I have searched through the forums to no avail. Since I could not find an adequate match to my problem.

I want to store all of my Music on one computer, basically my iMac since it is on 24/7. Whenever I update the library with new songs or playlists on said Mac, my goal is to have the same updates occur on all the PC's and Mac's in my house after they reload iTunes.

Here is what I have attempted.
    1. On the server Mac I have set up my Music directory in iTunes.
    2. Then on test client PC I have pointed to said Music folder on the Server Mac as the default iTunes music folder location "\\Music-machine\musicmachine\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music." Then closed PC's iTunes
    3. On the Server Mac I then added a test file into my library. Said file is stored in my iTunes default music folder. Then I quit iTunes on the server.
    4. On my client PC I opened iTunes but the added music file did not show up. I checked my settings and it still listed "\\Music-machine\musicmachine\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music" as my default music directory.

What am I doing wrong? My goal is for all computers to make use of the same "iTunes Music Library" and "iTunes Library" Files. All machines are currently running iTunes 7.0.1. Is this even possible? Are there any scripts, hacks, or tricks to get this to work? These machines would also have to be able to access simultaneously. As we frequently listen to music in our rooms at the same time. Since we have iPods and purchased AAC content another vendors music player is not an option.

We have database of over 9,000 songs and it seems rather wasteful of storage and time consuming to store the same database on every machine. Especially making updates to each machine as a new playlist is made or new CD added, which occurs frequently.

I know music sharing is an option but you can not make playlist's nor burn CD's on the client machine's.

2. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I have had moderate success so far. But, it is not as automated as I want.

On the server mac I set up a library of only two songs. Then on my test client PC I kept the same default location "\\Music-machine\musicmachine\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music". I then chose to import the "iTunes Music Library" XML file from the Server Mac, to the test client PC. The two test songs worked on the test client PC. I then proceeded to repeat the import command of the "iTunes Music Library". Though the playlists got duplicated the songs did not.

Now I am rebuilding my entire database on the server Mac. So I will repeat said command on the client PC to check for success. Hopefully a database of over 9,000 songs will not take too long for this command. If successful I will let you all know.

Assuming that this is my only option could someone tell me the appropriate Applescript commands to make this process Automated on my client Mac's. So that when I open iTunes this import command occurs. I would also like to do the same command on my PC's, but do not know what is comparable to Applescript for Windows.

3. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

For those whom have been interested by this I have found out the following.

Using the import command for the "iTunes Music Library" XML file is far too time consuming on large libraries. It took several hours on my Athlon 64 Gaming Rig.

The best method I found for Windows PC's is to copy the "iTunes library" file from the server mac into the PC's iTunes folder in "My Documents" then add the "*.itl" extension so that iTunes recognizes it. Upon doing this load iTunes on the PC and it will take several to update it's Music Library. Now everything on the PC is up to date. I kept "\\Music-machine\musicmachine\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music" as the PC's default library location. This PC I chose as my master library file PC.

On all other PC's I just copied the updated "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library" to their respective iTunes folders in "My Documents". And kept them directed towards "\\Music-machine\musicmachine\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music" as the Music Library. If any of the PC's in the house were kept running 24/7 like my Server Mac I would have directed iTunes to use their "iTunes Library" file. Making it necessary to only manually update one Windows PC.

For the Macs I simply chose to have iTunes use the server macs "iTunes Library" as their library file. Then pointed their Music Library to "\\Music-machine\musicmachine\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music". They get their library updates automatically, whenever iTunes is loaded.

This experience is just further proof that Mac's are easier to use than PC's. I must note that all PC's must use the same version of iTunes or else each one will have to update their "iTunes Library" file. The same situation will occur with the Mac's.

4. Letters macrumors newbie

very interesting, I've been thinking about attempting to do the same thing, except my main server would be a pc.

I remember finding something for itunes that watches whatever folder you specify and it will automatically add new songs to the itunes database...but I can't remember the name of the program, or if it was compatible with macs, maybe someone else knows.

5. islandman macrumors 6502

Awesome post. I hadn't gotten around to doing this for my PCs yet, but I'm going to do it today.