Keeping mail synced accounts across two Macs...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by netdog, May 29, 2006.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I have a portable and an iMac that I want to keep synced in terms of my email so at I can check it from either machine.

While I have a .Mac account, I want to keep using my personal domain rather than going through an email address change and becoming tethered to .Mac forever. That said, having my mail synced on my .Mac account as well would be okay, just as long as things are deleted when I delete them on one of my machines. It would also be really great if this syncing works not just with the Inbox, but with mail subfolders as well (which I have many of).

I use Entourage, though I would use Mail if I must switch to achieve what I want to. I don't have IMAP service with my provider. Just the standard ISP multiple POP boxes (though I basically use one).

Am I dreaming, or is there a way to achieve this? Having machines all synced in terms of email, with a backup mirrored on a server, would really be great. I had thought that I was getting this with .Mac, but it looks like that only does so for my .Mac address.

Help!

2. karichelle macrumors member

karichelle

So the Syncing software that's supposed to be part of .Mac only works with the .Mac e-mail address? That sucks. :(

That was going to be my suggestion, as that looks like a pretty cool program to keep a lot of things synced between two Macs, including Mail.

I do have another suggestion though...does your personal domain's e-mail account support IMAP? If it does, then you can set it up as such in Mail and do so on both machines and you will always have a current copy of your mailbox, plus a full server backup, no matter what machine you are on. That's what I do with my university e-mail account, and I wish GMail supported it so I could use it on there too. I find that to be very effective for sharing mail between the Mac and a Linux box.