Keeping my 12" AL book pretty

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gidman, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Gidman macrumors member

New York, the City so nice they named it twice
    Any hints on taking off the sweat/handprints on the cover and palmwrests of my new Aluminum powerbook? I am not a clean freak or anything, I have just noticed some slight discoloration (a sort of white haze...)

Gid

2. ian559 macrumors member

I have been using a spray of windex on a papertowel to wipe mine down. Hope it dont hurt it but it seems to keep it clean

3. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Use a damp lint-free cloth, it will clean the aluminum.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gidman

I use cotton terrycloth only - don't want to risk scratching the screen, as paper may.

Oh, and ammonia (blue) Windex, not Vinegar (Green) Windex. Ammonia is Alcaline, Vinegar is an acid (Acetic acid specifically), the materials of the PB are more resistive of Alcaline vs. Acid, and the handprints are the opposite - hate alcaline.

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I don't know what you guys call it in the US but here in the UK we have something called "swiffer" cloths.

They attract dust and i keep one inbetween the keyboard and screen everytime i close the lid. In the 4 weeks i have had this iBook i am on my second swiffer, they last quite a while.

6. Tommy! macrumors regular

"swiffer" cloths will not rid the aluminum casing of "fingerprints" ;)

7. Gidman thread starter macrumors member

New York, the City so nice they named it twice
    Thanks for all your advice

Thats great folks. Especially the chemical engineering. very informative. thanks as well for the swiffer idea. We have them here and I was beggining to worry about dust too....

Gid

8. ian559 macrumors member

I do not use a paper towel with windex on the screen..... Only to get rid of finger prints on the metal. I use a soft cloth with a spritz of blue windex on the screen. The green windex is a no no