Keeping my iBook safe at high school?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by goodtimes5, Jul 22, 2004.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Inspired by the Powerbook and iPod thread, I have an iBook and will frequently bring it to school. I have no special bag/equipment, and will merely store it right alongside my books in my backpack.

I go to a nice-goody school; thefts and fights occur once a year, and the fight is just a stare-down.

But still, I don't wanna risk it. Any tips for security?

2. dav macrumors 6502

If thefts occur once a year, what are you worried about?

Just keep your backpack in site always.

3. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I go to the same kind of school. My book was either with me (or, going against another post of mine) hidden in the office of a trusted teacher when I couldn't carry my bag. If you go to a relatively small school, and use a bit of common sense, your book will be fine.

4. dav macrumors 6502

Just Curious: Do you plan on bringing it everyday?

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I second that one. I have a PowerBook, and am tempted to take it around with me, even when I don't need it. I always ask myself if I really need it when I'm going out. Is it really worth taking such an expensive, fragile, and vulnerable piece of equipment out when you really don't need it?

Anyways, just use common sense.

[edit]: just noticed you live here in SF. BTW, I went to SI :D

7. Nspace macrumors regular

A laptop of any sorts would have come in handy at my school, unfortunately I could not afford one at the time, I held out until this summer for university.

We had wireless access all over the school so surfing during your spare or for reseach a laptop would have been ideal. Most high schools, like much, have horrible computers that take a beating after you get years of students on them, so why not save yourself the hassle and use the book at school.

I wouldnt been to concerned if you keep it with you at school, i just wouldnt leave it laying around, and if you do make sure a friend you trust is watching it :D

8. iElvis macrumors member

I just graduated from high school. I got my iBook at the end october, and started bringing it to school everyday. I just had a laptop backpack that I stored it in. My backpack was always with me or in a locker or a locked room.

My school was similar to yours except I'm from the suburbs of Chicago. I never had a problem with it being taken. All my friends knew I had it, and so did my teachers. For that reason I knew it was safe, because if somebody suddenly had a white laptop, and mine was missing, a lot of people would have been suspicious.

Just wondering, but what classes would you use it in? I used it mainly for A.P. Computer Science and for the school newspaper. I did use it occasionally in all my other classes. My school also had wireless, so it was nice using my own laptop instead of the school PC's.

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

The safest thing to do is leave it at home. If there is any doubt, then that's what you should do. It would probably please your teachers too.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    just keep it along side u most of the time, dont leave it unattended, if you have PE or something store it with the office or something

11. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

taking ap classes, there are a whole bunch of notes to take, and usually one has to devote a whole binder to an ap class. Considering that I will be taking three ap classes and two honors, a laptop makes a whole bunch of sense.

And plus, it's cool.

MoparShaha, I go to Lowell.

HorrorTaxi, teachers hate laptops? Even Apple ones??

12. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Teachers hate their students being distracted and not paying attention to them. I'm a big fan of technology and one of the biggest Apple fanboys you'll ever meet, but I'm also Mr. Horrortaxi the teacher and I've got a job to do. Don't make me confiscate your PowerBook--you may never see it again.

13. zv470 macrumors 6502

This is how I keep my powerbook safe: never, ever take it to uni. So... why did I get a laptop instead of a desktop?... So I can take my work with me when I fly back home for the holidays. :) I'd kill myself if anything bad happend to it. :D ...well not really, but I would be devastated. :eek: