Keeping my iPod safe at high school?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnbro23, Jul 22, 2004.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

Inspired by the Powerbook thread, I decided to see what you would do about an iPod. I had a 40 GB that got stolen this past spring. It was taken out of my backpack. I guess someone unzipped the pocket it was in and took it. I can't really be sure exactly how it happened though.

I have a new 20 GB coming right now, this time I got the laser engraving with my name and phone number. I'll keep it in my pocket, instead of just in my backpack.

I'm not going to let what happened keep me from taking my iPod to school. I listen to my iPod more at school than anywhere else. Do any of you have any suggestions on what else I can do to keep it safe?

2. magid macrumors 6502

magid

first off, sorry about your 40gb, musta been a bummer when you realized it was gone. i daily bring my ipod to school and always keep it in my pocket, if people know that you have an ipod and keep it in your bag then there is a good chance that some ****** kid will try and take it from you. all i can say is just keep it in your pocket and try not to make it noticable that you have an ipod up for the stealing

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Use different headphones. I know the white ones look cool, but it's a dead giveaway that you have an iPod. I'm sure whoever took your last iPod knew you had it and planned the whole thing out. Aside from keeping it in your pocket, security through obscurity is your best bet.

4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I have the Sony headphones that go behind your head. It seems like everyone at my school has those, so they aren't going to be too "flashy".

I'll try not to show my iPod off (although it'll be hard to resist the temptation). I made that mistake with my last iPod. I was listening to it at the end of a class with it sitting on my lap and this thug kinda kid came over and said hey let me check that out. I'm used to that, everyone is always fascinated by it. Plus I was freinds with this kid. So the next week it was gone. The day it was taken, we were doing a project in the same class that the thug kid was in and I was on the other side of the room with my bookbag near him. I never had any proof, so I couldn't do anything about it, although, I'm thinking about saying something to him about it this year. Why not. I'm sure he sold it or something, so I don't know what good it is to say anything now.

Well, anyways, any advice? About what to do about the kid, or what to do about keeping my new iPod safe?

5. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

i carry an ipod, a cellphone, and my wallet. none of these or anything else that's of any value ever leaves my body. never ever leave it in your backpack, locker, or any other palce than your own pocket. trust no-one. don't parade it around. don't wear the white buds or the remote. don't let people know what you're carrying. stealth is the best protection.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

7. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, those suggestions should help, minus the paint it pink suggestion and the pack heat suggestion. The guy is probably 100 pound bigger than me, and who knows, he might carry around a knife.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Engraving the back will lower resale value, but it will make it less likely to be stolen - IF the person looking to steal it realizes it's engraved before they take it.

9. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Yeah, I always felt a bit nervous on the couple occasions that I took my iPod to school and had to dress down for PE, leaving the iPod in my PE locker...I had PE 3rd period so I just didn't let people find out I had it until after that. I keep my iPod with me (in my pocket) at all times, besides PE when that isn't an option obviously.

Luckily I'm done with PE now so I can show it off more :D...nobody's ever asked to see it or anything...though the dentist was fascinated by it the other day :)

10. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I had mine in an inner-inner pocket of my bag at school. It shared the bag with my cell phone and laptop, so that bag never left my side.

/nothing weird about taking your bag to the bathroom...

11. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I think I'll just keep it in my pocket. I shouldn't worry about it too much.

We have the same problem at our school about stuff getting stolen during gym, or P.E. as you call it. It was actually a big problem. My one friend had $30 and a pretty nice watch stolen from his gym locker. They have locks, though, so I'm just bringing a lock so I can lock it up during gym class.

12. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

13. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

excellent advice for a variety of situations.

seriously, just tell everyone you have an ipod, and if anyone is interested in fighting you for it they are welcome too. then stab the first person who tries fighting you for it. they won't be quite so interested in your ipod anymore. alternatively, you could just keep it in your pocket...pure genius.

14. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

anything of real value to me I engrave. (never engraved my laptop proubly should do that.) Engraving has saved me before when on jerk took my cal and I just say it on the back pick it up and kept walking. He told on me and I just showed the back of the cal to the teacher and that ended everything.

I learned to be careful with flashy stuff that everyone one wants like ipods first because they cost so much and 2nd because everone wantes them. I crazy enough about my Graphic caluctor that is worth over 200 that I got for Xmas and I dont let that thing out of my sit when I go to class

15. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Why can't you just super glue the ipod to your ass?

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

UH....

Why the hell do you need an iPod (or even a cell phone) iduring the day in high school? You listen to songs during the ten minute break between periods? Or at lunch? Try TALKING to ppl instead...

17. dstorey macrumors 6502a

Have you tried going to the gym and becoming a big ass muscle freak. No one would dare steal it then.

18. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I was thinking the same thing. Why would you ever need an iPod in school? You shouldn't be using it in class, and when not in class - you are probably gabbing with others. What's the use of it there?? Sounds like an unnecessary risk. :rolleyes:

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I was thinking the same too.

Though I can see where both would see use before and after school.

20. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Some people like walking down the hall with their headphones dangling from their shoulders, and their music blasting, just to show how cool they are. Most of these kids are too Emo to talk to non-vampires.

Other people (my category) like to listen to music when they work in classes like art, study hall, or other situations where the staff is Anal about talking. There are more opportunities than you may remember to listen to a personal music player at school.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Man, school has changed since I was there ('76). We just had the Jocks and their hangers on, the Druggies, the Brainies, the Moneys , and the rest of us.

22. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

and if you live in the middle of nowhere like myself, it's good for the bus ride... nobody wants country hicks trying to make friends with them...

reality

23. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I was going to reply: "Just don't take it to school." But these other replies are much, *much* funnier! LOL! :) :D

24. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I wasn't in school *that* long ago, and walkmen/etc. were banned. hmmf. maybe high schools will follow Duke's lead. :p