Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toezter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
i've noticed that even running simple apps, the powerbook will run its fan to the max, really annoying.

i have some blocks underneath it to allow air flow, but it doesn't help too much.

what does everyone else do?

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
I have seen special stands with fans built in, i recommended one to a friend who used a winblows laptop with a desktop processor inside.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Switzermac said:
I have seen special stands with fans built in, i recommended one to a friend who used a winblows laptop with a desktop processor inside.

Good call. These things can help keep your 'Book nice & cool.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
You might have a more serious problem here. I do some heavy work on my PowerBook and I can't ever remember the fans going on. Is my PB abnormal?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
grapes911 said:
You might have a more serious problem here. I do some heavy work on my PowerBook and I can't ever remember the fans going on. Is my PB abnormal?

No, some people are just a lot more picky than others. :)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I use a simple Targus coolpad for my 17" PB and it stopped the fans from activating by about 50-60% - pretty good I think.
I am not into the ones with fans though, I always thought it would be a power hog and I kill batteries rapidly anyway.
these things do get hot, crazy powerbooks... but I wouldn't have it any other way ;)

toezter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
i had an ibook, sold it, got a powerbook. i love it much more.

fussy, hardly not. my old p3 was oc'd more than half its original speed, and i had fans blowing CONSTANTLY. this is just quarter to half the noise pollution.

but i guess it is a bit hot around here. i'll look into those pads.

thanks.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
grapes911 said:

Hmm...my PB fan doesn't go on that much, even when working on heavy work. I don't have iCurve or any special fans to cool it down. So maybe there is a problem?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Powerbooks are already cool, don't worry about it.

I know what you mean, keeping (it running) cool probably won't make a difference in the long run, however it reacts to a heavy load is how it is designed to react. Regardless, keep the warranty up to date.

Ti_Poussin

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
I personnaly own a Vantec Lapcool. It's great when I render movie of animation. For bonus you get a USB 2.0 hub inside it. There's a potentiometer for regulate the speed of the fan and a ON/OFF switch.

http://www.tomshardware.com/firstlook/20040322/notebook_coolers-02.html

Don't take the version 3 (there's 3 type of them) cause is use the power of your USB to activated the fan and heat up the powerbook to cool it down
:confused:

The version 2 is ugly. The version 1 is just perfect for my taste.

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
the heat on my PB seems weird. When it's been sleeping it's really cool, sometimes even feels cold. But when I'm using it, even lightly it gets really hot, so much so that it hurts to have it on bare skin. I got two different temp widgets to try and keep an eye on it, but neither one works, they both get the temp when the computer is turned on and then it never changes even if I refresh it. Any tips to make those work or make sure my PB is running at okay temps? Also, what are normal operating temps for a PB?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think the 15" PB gets a lot hotter than the 12", at least in my experience.

One great option for you is to buy my 15" iLap for sale in the Marketplace forum.

Other than various cooling pads, just get used to it... ;) I don't think it hurts the computer, it's just a comfort factor thing.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
grapes911 said:

Depends.. which one do do you have? I had a PB 12" 1.33GHz before I got my PB 12" 1.5GHz. The fan of the slower PB was never running, the fan of the faster PB seems to run all the time (though it is not very loud compared to the Toshiba Notebook of my girlfriend).

moliere

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2005
The 15" pbook gets so hot it is uncomfortable to have it on your lap, and that's only from running Safari and Mail. I've researched this pretty well, and what you need is a flat surface to insulate your legs from the heat AND/OR draw the heat away from the powerbook to keep it cool.

First I bought the Lapdesk from Targus. Does NOT work very well at all. The Lapdesk still gets too hot under my legs even though it's made with plastic, and I doubt the powerbook gets any cooler.

So I ordered the iLap after considering the other options. The iLap is made of aluminum which effectively increases the heat loss from the powerbook. The bottom of the iLap still gets warm, but certainly not as warm as the powerbook without the iLap. I've also been monitoring the pbook's outside temperature manually (since, as someone pointed out, this OS does not refresh the internal temperature sensors), and it does feel cooler than it did when I had it lying on my lap. Best of all, because the bottom of the iLap is suspended about an inch above your legs, you get pretty comfortable, too. I'm keeping this one, at least for now. I've had it for two weeks and I'm pretty happy with it.

The only downside to the iLap is that it's not exactly portable since it gets pretty bulky to just put in your backpack or whatever carrying case you have. I think there are other options, with active cooling (fans) that might work, too. When I get unhappy with the iLap, I'll probably try the Targus chillmat.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
When i'm just surfing etc. with the machine on my lap i force the CPU into running reduced :)

Still plenty fast enough to run safari, mail, adium, skype, itunes and maybe photoshop, and it only gets warm, not really hot, i normally only run with automatic or full speed when i have the powerbook on a desk or some similar surface

Works fine like this :)

I'm interested in what it'll be like in the winter, it's 30ºC in this room, and with the powerbook running flatout the fans are going like mad and it's soo hot, when i go back to safari and the like it cools itself down pretty quick :D

Incidentally, i watched a dvd while in the passenger seat of my dads car a few weeks back, with the AC on it was around 15ºC in the car and the powerbook only got a little warm, worked a treat

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
What I think causes all the heat, even under easy program loads, is Core Image, since it uses the GPU more intensively. The GPU actually heats up pretty good and that's what's kickin the fans on...so, check the GPU Temp and you'll see it gets pretty warm in there.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
joepunk said:
The Targus Notebook ChillHub incorporates not just fans but 4 USB 2.0 ports.

Hope this helps

Nice, thanks! I've been meaning to look into something like this, something that'll keep my 12" iBook cool while playing games and also a USB hub for all my peripherals. I checked the dimensions and it's pretty much identical to the 12" iBook (give or take half an inch or so).

I did a Froogle search and this site has it on sale for $39 and I got it shipped for about $47 (no tax). Not too shabby for having a retail price of $50.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I've never heard my pb fan kick on, and it never gets so hot that anything bad happens. Are you sure it's not the DVD drive spinning? Sometimes if I leave one in there, for very odd reasons sometimes it will spin so hard (and it sounds like a fan) it seems like there's a helicopter in the room.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Just as a follow-up to my previous post, my Targus ChillHub arrived over the weekend. Aesthetics-wise, I was kinda disappointed. It's cheap feeling plastic with painted-on silver. But the functionality pretty much makes up for it. My 12" iBook's internal fan never once kicked on while doing graphics-intensive stuff, and the 12" iBook fits perfectly on it. The USB 2.0 hub was a must for me, as my iBook is used as a desktop replacement.

Overall I would recommend it! And remember, the bigger the laptop, the better that cheap painted silver is hidden. :)

toezter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
Ja Di ksw said:
I've never heard my pb fan kick on, and it never gets so hot that anything bad happens. Are you sure it's not the DVD drive spinning? Sometimes if I leave one in there, for very odd reasons sometimes it will spin so hard (and it sounds like a fan) it seems like there's a helicopter in the room.

its the fan, trust me.

its about 80-85*F in my room now. cpu is at a bare minimum, and avail. memory is near half (from activity monitor). yet the fan is running, i'd say 3/4 speed. not as bad as it was before.

oh, i just can't WAIT to use it in a lecutre where its just screeming next to a hot chick.

not really fond of those fan coolers or the ilap (overpriced). i'll probly make a makeshift one some of these days.

but should i report this to apple? its still under the 90day warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.