Keeping tunes in familiar sequence

Discussion in 'iPod' started by skaler, Jul 29, 2006.

1. skaler macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2006
    How do I keep tunes that I transfer from a CD to iTunes in the same sequence that they are on the CD? I have one album, Misplaced Childhood by Marillion, where the songs are bridged into a more or less continuous song, so that the entire CD is essentially one continuous song. Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick is another example.
    I dragged and dropped the individual tunes to my ipod, but they play in alphabetical order rather than the original order. I have regular CDs that I have lived with for a number of years, and expect one song to follow the other. Before I had an ipod, I would rename the songs by placing a letter in front of each song so that they would come up in the order I expected to hear. How do I do this in itunes?
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    if you want to listen to this album on your iPod go through Music>Arisits>Album and that album should remain in order.

in itunes if you have it sorted by Artist then Album they should be in correct order instead of ordered by track title.

you can change which order has priority by clicking the bar at the top.
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    You can use the track number field, fill it in if CDDB didn't do it for you. Click on that column in the iTunes browser (ctrl-click on the column headers to bring up a menu to add it, if it's missing) before pressing 'play' and the right thing will happen.

The iPod will respect track numbers for ordering, if they are present.
  4. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Make sure the songs are in the order you want in a playlist and then ctrl-click or right click on the playlist and select "Copy to Play Order"