Keepings Macs on

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SenatorBen, Jan 17, 2007.

1. SenatorBen macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2007
    hey, thanks to everyone who answered my last question, but I have another one! After browsing through these forums, it seems like there are a lot of people who are reluctant to leave their Macs on 24/7...why is this? Most people (including myself) who have PCs don't think twice about leaving them there something about Macs that makes it better to not leave them on all the time? Or do Mac people just take better care of their machines? :p Does it actually hurt the Mac to leave it on 24/7? Thanks!
  2. heehee macrumors 68020

Jul 31, 2006
    Same country as Santa Claus
    I don't know where you are browsing in, but I think most people leave their macs on 24/7 unless it's a laptop and they only shut it down when travelling. I keep my laptop on unless I'm travelling and my Mac Mini on all the time.
  3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Most people don't leave their computer on, whether PC or Mac. Computer parts have a limited lifetime and it's also a massive waste of energy.

However, if your computer needs to be left on, as some of mine do, then a Mac can hack it just as well as any PC. The hardware is fundamentally the same and the operating system handles long periods without a reboot much better than Windows in my experience.
  4. omeletpants macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2005
    I leave my desktop Mac on all the time. The biggest wear issue is turning it off and on. If you don't believe that then look at your light bulbs. Seems like 90% of the time when a light bulb dies is when you turn the light on. It's the jolt of current
  5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    I keep my Macbook sleeping when I'm not using hasn't been turned off or restarted for about 2 weeks now...I do notice a slight decrease in responsiveness when it's been on for a long time though, so it's probably good to turn it off every once in a while.
  6. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

May 14, 2003
    I never shut my computer off. Only times I do is:

1) if there is a storm with the chance of a lightning strike

2) if Im going to be away from home for more than 24hrs

Other than that, its on. And for sure, I dont reboot my mac nearly as often as I did my last windows machine. As of now my uptime is 16days, 4hrs, and change. I know others have had uptime way, way longer than that. But I cant imagine ever having a windows machine running for 16 days + without having to reboot.
  7. UnitedRed macrumors member

Jan 30, 2006
    Most of the time I turn mine off as i'm not using it so why leave it on, plus it cuts down on the electricity bills

Sometimes I put it to sleep if i'm going to be using it for many parts of the day
  8. dopey220 macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2006
    Mostly, I shut my MacBook down whenever I'm not using it, but I'll let it sleep if I'm just stepping away for a few minutes.

With my eMac, I shut it down at night, but leave it on all day.
  9. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2006
  10. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2004
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Leave it on!

I leave all my Macs at home and work on 24/7, the only time I restart are for updates (damm you Apple ruining my system uptime stats :mad: )
  11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    FireWire is kept on in sleep. That's an extra 6 watts (4 watts for just the iMac) over just the iMac being asleep.
  12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    I understood that constantly restarting caused wear and tear, especially on the HD. Mine is put to sleep at night and I clean up with Cocktail so once a week the machine is restarted.