Keiko died (Free Willy)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by medea, Dec 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Wow, that is sad. It's unfortunate but it seems since he was in human contact for so long it was almost impossible for him to return permanently to the wild.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well we can be happy that he had a good life of being exploited by humans in captivity, while doing movies about how bad it is to be exploited by humans in captivity. he will be missed for all the money he generated.

paul

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

5. Independence macrumors regular

paulwhannel - I was hoping I'd find a little more compassion for Keiko here than at another forum I visit. I'm personally disgusted that I'm finding your kind of selfish, uncaring mindset here, too.

6. johnnowak macrumors 6502

He was being sarcastic you dope. I suppose your harsh and thoughtless comments go will with your peachy signature though.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Look dont get to mad at Tazo, its just a comment. i had seen this whale perform and he was pretty amazing. and it is true that he never could let go of humans, just like dogs i know. The fact is there are millions of people that love ( shamu) and still do. Pretty amazing that one of these gigantic beasts can become so tame and long for human companionship.

8. johnnowak macrumors 6502

He was talking to Paul. That's why he started his post with Paul.

What is wrong with you people... someone ban me, I can't take this idiotic behavior anymore.

9. Independence macrumors regular

Oh, go shoot yourself in the head. That post was nothing but a personal attack against me with absolutely no relevance to the topic. Go away and come back when you get some intelligence.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

jesus people, calm down. i was sarcastically saying that the exploitation of animals for commercial purposes is wrong... tazo, yes it's one whale, but what about all of the other whales, or all of the other animals for that matter? Keiko was high-profile, especially being in an anti-animal-exploitation movie, and the work that was done trying to renaturalize him. most of his life was a hell you cannot imagine, so forgive me everyone for pointing out that that is wrong.

johnnowak, don't leave, we need to keep the perceptive people around :)

paul

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

woooooooooow... is everyone a little stressed about the end of the semester or WHAT!? every thread is looking like this now...

i think we ought to all sing the free willy song in unison to bring some togetherness back to the macrumors forums

la la la la la ;)

13. Independence macrumors regular

paulwhannel - Maybe I was a little too quick to act. I didn't see the sarcasm. Like I said, there was virtually no compassion at another forum I visit (where one member even talked of blowing up whales).

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Ok, now. Let's all take a breather...It's too bad about Keiko, but it's just as bad that he/she (not sure which) didn't get the opportunity to live the natural life of a whale.

Nevertheless, it's quite sad. Now, let's not let this thread end by us killing each other. That would be negative...Maybe.

15. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It was a waste of money to try to get Keiko back into the wild. He kept on returning to humans, and I can't imagine why anybody would think he would ever leave them after twenty years in captivity (which is when they first tried to return him to the wild).

I don't know how the project was funded, but if it was funded with my tax money, I'd like it back so I can give it to schools.

16. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

You're right, it is just one whale. And if you are more interested in the rights of whales, and what *they* are feeling, maybe you should rethink your priorities. It is perfectly fine to support animals, and to feel sorry for the "injustices" against them, but is it really necessary to make cynical comments about his captivity?

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Yes. because they cannot.

Do you really care, tazo, or are you just saying this to be contrary? you were complaining in another thread about how much you hate people acting like other races... if other people can set you off that bad, with their bahaviour, maybe it's you that needs to rethink your priorities? No one's being hurt in that case. Animals are being hurt in this case.

Maybe the person that started the thread needs to rethink their priorities, if they cared enough about this to post a thread?

maybe you're just hellbent on disagreeing with anything that non-ultraconservatives say?

paul

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

couple more and this one'll be wastelanded... don't stop now people, we're almost there. :rolleyes:

19. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

I'm not sure how a thread on the tragic death of a well loved whale sparked so many conflicts, but I ask that you cease your personal attacks and take it elsewhere.

20. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Sorry for the outburst. It's just usually me that's the one having their sarcasm misunderstood. I hate to see it happen to others. :)

I guess I'll come back when I "get some intelligence." :rolleyes:

21. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

I don't plan on making this thread one post closer to the wasteland but I'll see if I can get my say before it moves... :)

I'm not sure if I like animals being in showbiz, and animals die all the time, but I suppose if an animal (like a dog or a bird) was in a big role and died, would we feel the same?

Oh well, how many Orca's do we have now? Hopefully enough to keep on going...

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This just in, Tweety Bird suffered fatal injuries in a horrific crash involving Woodstock and a Ferrari. More at 11.

23. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Dogs are a common domesticated animal, killer whales are not. The poor animal was domesticated to the point where it didn't want contact with other whales, only humans, and then they decided to force it back into the wild, which is what killed it. That is the travesty here.

24. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

It's sad about Keiko, but I think he lived a lonely life without too much contact with other whales.

BTW, I was only 5 miles away from him when he died... Was playing a concert in Molde, a town near the Taknes bay.

25. Independence macrumors regular

Sure, just try to antagonize me some more. :rolleyes:

You called me a dope and talked trash about my sig. I didn't misunderstand that comment. I was insulted by it. Maybe I'm too easily offended but maybe you should keep the name calling within the boundaries of your own home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.