Keith Olbermann: cultural phenomenon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is it, folks: apparently The Man has arrived.

Washington Post link

Wow. A 69% ratings increase since Keith started doing these "special commentaries"? That tells you something, doesn't it?

It also explains (and believe me, I've wondered) how he gets away with it. He's right: as long as he's making them money, they'll let him keep doing it. (Though you have to wonder if there's a limit even to that.)

Anyway, since they're talking about "tipping points", I think this may be one for Keith. If he keeps making these comments, and the media keeps picking them up, he's stepped up to a whole new level.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Maybe the two million viewers of Bill O. says something. :p (You could take that comment many ways...)

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Bill O appeals to the right and untill now no one has appealed to the left because the majority of reporters are full of siht and dont challenge what anyone says.

It's nice to have someone who gets angry about all these things that everyone has forgotten.

Where were you for Katrina
    Why did we go into Iraq
    What were you doing before 911

Up untill recently the person who asked the best questions was John Stewart, I only wish that Olbermann would do more interviews so he could call people on their bull.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The majority of reporters are lazy as siht too.

More and more, Network seems so visionary.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It's called the First Amendment, Keith. Yes they do.

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I think he's making a moral appeal, not a statement re: legality ...

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You can go to almost any news program on any station and they tend to push the
    "official " AP story and nothing much else.

Olbermann is taking on the big guns without hesitation.

It's about damn time somebody did!

8. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I am 15 and I try to watch Olbermann daily. He actually tells it how it is and doesn't label Congressman the wrong party, Fox News, and like FFTT said, he's not afraid to attack the top, like Jack Bauer. :p

BTW, has anybody bought Olbermann's book yet besides me?

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

O'Reilly and FAUX news did it first, then Keith, so who is dividing the country?

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh. Someone try to tell me that this is a coincidence:

For me the most striking part of that article is the rise in Dobbs' viewership. Does this indicate that liberals are finally finding their own alternatives to Fox? Or is this something more? Could this (and Olbermann, and the growing anti-GOP political tide) indicate that liberalism is regaining its lost luster in the eyes of the average American?

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If people are starting to jump on the hard commentary bandwagon, it's because
    of ratings and public pressure to address this nightmare instead of sanitizing it.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Dobbs is a liberal? I mean, he may not be a dyed-in-the-wool conservative, but a liberal? :confused:

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

In the eyes of this administration anyone who speaks freely is a LIBERAL.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You could say Bill O. appeals to the intellectual audiences out there whom take in the strait facts with "no spin" and decide for themselves. :D (I know you're going to hate that)

Dobbs appears as an economic conservative. Then he can surprise you and take a "liberal" stance on something. Some accuse Dobbs of being too conservative because of his constant coverage of the "broken borders" and how illegal immigration is tearing this country up. Then on the flip side, he won't hold anything back when criticizing Bush. So maybe this is CNN's Bill O'Reilly. ;)

Remember the news business is a business. They are out for ratings. Fox has Bill, CNN is now pushing Dobbs, and MSNBC is has Olberman. It's competition fellas!

On something similarly related: Can you definitively say where Shepard Smith stands politically? I have watched his shows a few times, and I can't tell. I know many will just assume because he works on Fox...

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

To paraphrase what someone around here once said: Trotsky is a liberal. Lou Dobbs is at best a moderate. Anyone who thinks Lou Dobbs is a liberal doesn't really know what a liberal is.

My god! The news business thrives on the dollars that come from ratings? Thanks for reminding me of that salient fact!

Well he's pro-death-penalty, and has been very generous in his coverage of the Bush administration in general. But there are rumors he's gay, so he's probably a liberal then, eh? :p

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Shocking aint it? :p