Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
link

In comments published Tuesday, the 63-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist said he had snorted his father's ashes mixed with cocaine.

"The strangest thing I've tried to snort? My father. I snorted my father," Richards was quoted as saying by British music magazine NME.

"He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared," he said. "... It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive."

Richards' father, Bert, died in 2002, at 84.

whoa.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Wow....that is crazy!

I thought it mean he smelled his father, or when up to his father and made a shorting noise...that was before I read the headline.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I remember Keith's recount of how the song "Satisfaction" came to be. "I woke in the middle of the night with this rift running through my head. I thought up a few words, got out of bed, picked up the guitar and played. There were about 45 minutes of me snoring afterwards".

Annie Lebowitz has a great picture of Keith laying passed-out on the floor. His zipper is half-way down. When I saw it, I wondered, "Did he make it to the bathroom or not?"

Nothing surprises me about Keith. He is the original British Rock 'bad-boy'. I must admit, I love him!

murfle

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
I thought it mean he smelled his father, or when up to his father and made a shorting noise...that was before I read the headline.

You did see Keith Richards in the title, didn't you? I knew exactly what it meant when I saw it... :/

topicolo said:
I hope he realizes that cremated human remains are pretty carcinogenic.

Um... Again... This is Keith Richards we're talking about. :D

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
this reminds me of an episode of Six Feet Under (where some mourners do the same thing)

Not exactly my idea of keeping a person with you but to each their own, eh?

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Yahoo News said:
Richards, one of rock's legendary wild men, told the magazine that his survival was the result of luck, and advised young musicians against trying to emulate him.

Snort as I say, not snort as I do?

Or Richards is ironcially protective of himself -- "snort that, but don't snort me" etc.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
looks like he's recanting the statement:

LONDON — Keith Richards was joking when he claimed to have snorted his father's ashes along with cocaine, a spokesman said Wednesday.

"It was an off-the-cuff remark, a joke, and it is not true. File under April Fool's joke," said Bernard Doherty of LD Communications, which represents the Rolling Stones.

fox

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
:p :p :p Keef still one of the coolest cats around.

Somehow I can't quite imagine McCartney saying the same.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Strange!

But saw an episode of Miami Ink the other day where a surfer who lost his mate to cancer, had some of his mates ashes put in the ink before Garver tattooed him. Thought that was pretty cool!

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Dennis Leary used to do a sequence about Keef telling people not to do drugs, (Keef did anti-drugs commercials a while back), the upshot was that Leary said we can't do drugs now because Keef's done all of them and we'll have to wait for him to die and snort his ashes....

Life and art, art and life.

Keef's a god, a wrinkly god sure, but a god nontheless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.