Kelly Kulick makes Sports History

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Jan 26, 2010.

1. macrumors 68030

While everyone has been working themselves up over the Apple Event, and the SOTU Address on Wednesday, many don't realize that a piece of sports history was made on Sunday. Sunday marks the first time in the sport of professional bowling, that a woman has beat a man in a tournament, ending a 52-year barrier in the sport.

STORY

If memory serves me right, outside of exhibition matches, this is the first time that a woman has beaten a man in any professional sport (I am not counting wrestling as a professional sport), let alone on national television.

I personally happen to know Kelly, and for her to accomplish this, let alone any woman to do this has been a long time coming. Congratulations to her, and I hope this serves as a wake-up call that with all things being equal, women are just as good as men in any sport.

BL.

2. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Would the fabled 1973 "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match be considered an exhibition match? Billie Jean King whoop up on Bobby Riggs on national tv.

3. macrumors 68030

I would think so. Let's put it another way. Did Billie Jean King enter a men's tournament and beat all the men in her path to winning the entire thing?

BL.

4. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

did she beat him while playing Flick Bowling on the iPad?

if not, no wonder is this "not news". :p

5. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Bowling is not a sport.

6. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Then neither is golf.

7. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I agree with both of these assessments.

I would also add car racing to the list, and it may very well be the most popular of the bunch.

(And for what it's worth, of the three choices mentioned, I'd say bowling is the closest to a real sport.)

8. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have no argument with you.

9. macrumors 68020

aloofman

I'm kind of puzzled that it hasn't happened before. It's not like bowling - even at the pro level - requires so much more body strength that men would have a major advantage.

My best guesses are that not that many women have tried to break into the PBA, and that it might be a stamina issue because of the sheer number of games one has to bowl just to qualify for a tournament. But I'm still surprised.

10. macrumors 68030

As an avid bowler of 32 years, I genuinely and vehemently say 'bollocks'.

Just because you don't see it every day or every weekend with some idiots making more on their shoe deal with Nike or Puma doesn't make it anywhere near a sport. BTW: Bowling is the No. 1 participation sport in the United States, with more than 66 million people bowling annually. This number is expected to reach over 100 million this year.

The PBA didn't allow women to enter their tournaments up until 2005. The women were resigned to forming their own professional tour. That went defunct in 2003. But to answer your question, those bowlers on the PBA who have one a tournament are exempted from having to bowl a pre-qualifying tournament to even make it to the main one. So in 2008, Liz Johnson, who was one of the first women to take a crack at it, had to bowl this pre-qualifying tournament, which was 32 games. She won that. Then the Qualifying round of the main tournament came, which was another 32. That got cut to the top 64 bowlers (Johnson was one of them) which was another 32 games. Then cut to the top 5, which bowl on TV. Johnson qualified 4th. Overall, she placed 2nd in that tournament, after bowling 97 games. The person that eventually won that tournament, Wes Malott, only bowled 65.

Stamina definitely isn't the problem. In Kelly's case, she qualified for this tournament (Tournament of Champions) by winning the Women's Bowling series. Total, she bowled 66 games for this (32 of qualifying, 32 of match play, 2 in the Finals). The women also bowled that many games on their own tour when that was running. Both the men and women do this each week. I'd love to see any of the rest of us here take a crack at that many games over a week, win the lot, and take home a check for $60,000. Even those in the top 24 got paid. And to think that those that play gridiron or basketball have to hope they get drafted to even be able to play.

BL.

11. macrumors 68020

aloofman

Thanks. I hadn't realized that the women's tour went under, or that the number of games was the same.

12. macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

wow...nice.
    congratulations to her!