Kelly Slater Pro Surfer

Discussion in 'Games' started by Gymnut, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

For fans of the Tony Hawk game series, Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer has arrived to the Macintosh platform via Aspyr. Incidently, like Blizzard, Aspyr has packaged both the Windows and Macintosh installer on one hybrid CD. Yay. I haven't had a chance to try Tony Hawk's series on my Dual 1Ghz MDD, 2GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4Ti, but this game does have its hiccups. I was a bit dismayed upon launching that the menu screen was shrouded in white, making viewing any of the options impossible. I had to visit the support page on Aspyr's website and they had a 1.3mb patch that would correct the skewed colors. Evidently this is only a problem under Panther. The wave models are beautiful and it is true, you never do surf the same wave twice. The loading times are a bit irritating and I highly suggest getting a gamepad since trying to control your surfer using your keyboard will be quite some challenge. There are 9 surfers for you to choose from, each having their own strengths and weakness. In addition, in Career mode, where you surf various spots around the world accomplishing certain goals, you are able to unlock extra surfboards and extra beaches to surf. I highly recommend going through the tutorial. I have a Logitech Rumblepad that didn't have any Macintosh software to configure the gamepad but fortunately, the game was able to detect the gamepad and allows you to configure it upon launching. The system requirements are per:

Mac OSX 10.2.3 or later
    Power Mac G4, iMac G4/eMac, Powerbook G4(DVI or better), iBook(32 VRAM model or better)-700MHz G4 processor or faster, 256MB of Ram, 520MB hard drive space, 3D Graphics Acceleration required (minimum of ATI Radeon or NVIDIA Geforce2 series card)-32 MB of video memory (VRAM).

On a side note, there are two CD's included, the first CD being the installer CD and the second being the CD required to be in your drive to play. I'm sure you can get around this by creating a disk image much like WarCraft 3.

2. Golem macrumors 6502

Nice looking game but the demo crashed lots! Average uptime was about 2-3 minutes.

3. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Great game for those of us who are 1500 miles from the nearest decent waves for surfing. :D

4. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Really? What are the specs of your machine? This game is somewhat of a processor hog. From what I understand, the patch was only for the sales release and Aspyr is looking at re-releasing the demo with a fix in the near future. Despite the clunky interface, it's a beautifully addictive game. I especially enjoy the Free surf where I can surf waves with unlimited time, meaning the wave never ends and I never get any closer to shore. Providing I can stand up the entire time, I could pull tricks endlessly! I'm currently free surfing Mavericks since I don't have the balls to do so in real life. Frankly, 30 foot surf in 40 degree water, infested with kelp and great white sharks scare me. I applaud Aspyr for adding more Macintosh titles to the dwindling shelf space at my local CompUSA store.

5. Golem macrumors 6502

At the time 1.6 G5 with a nice fresh 10.2.8 install. I wasnt the only one.
    IMG

6. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

I've just started playing KSPS on my upgraded G4 (bumped up to 1.33GHz with an OWC card, plus I'm running 1.5 GB RAM and a GeForce Ti 128MB vid card). I agree that the game's a little clunky to get moving... but it's way too cool once you start surfing. Nice music tracks, too. Not a big fan of Jack Johnson, but the vibe is right in this game.

Brings back memories of Christmas morning at Pops in Waikiki, or dodging the rock walls at Turtle Bay, or that one day I was dumb enough to wander out on Pipeline...

Shaka,

mangoman