Ken Burns Effect in FCP??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ivan B, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Ivan B macrumors newbie

Ivan B

Is the Ken Burns effect (or any kind of pan and zoom effect for photos) available in FCP? If so, which menu options to I pick to invoke this feature? If anybody has used it in Final Cut Pro, any feedback as to the difference in quality between FCP and iMovie for this particular effect?

Well I will greatly appreciate it if anybody can help me with this qustion.

2. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

With an image in the timeline, double click on it so it opens in the Viewer,

There is a tab called motion.

Click on it.

You can now change the settings for how zoomed in the image is, and where it is centered.

Press the button with a diamond in it to add a keyframe.

This is very basic, and if you need more than what I've said, hopefully someone else will take the time to type it up.

3. Mr B macrumors member

Mr B

I will expand a little on what he said, let us know if you need more detail.

Basically there is no 'magic' Ken burns effect that you just add like in imovie. You do it manually. The good news is: 1. once you figure it out, it is very quick and easy 2. It is much more customizeable, and you have complete control.

There are two basic ways (probably more than that even) to achieve it. Follow the steps above to get to the motions tab. Keyframes are markers that tell FCP when to start and/or stop an effect or motion. add a keyframe to the beginning of the clip and then one to the end. Then put the playhead on the first keyframe, it will highlight green when you are on it (yes there is a playhead in the motions tab too, which represents the same one you see in the timeline). Go to scale and type something like "110". This will cause the picture to gradually change scale from 110% at the beginning to 100% at the end. This will make it appear we are zooming out from the pic. You can also put keyframes on the position, which makes it appear you are panning across a picture. Experiment and have fun! You can put the keyframes anywhere and have multiple ones. You can have more sudden moves with extreme scale and position changes that look more like the moves in documentaries likle Dogtown and the Z boys.

The 2nd way involves the same ideas, except instead of doing it by typing values in the motions tab, you do it with the actual pic. Go to the View menu and make sure you have 'wireframe' turned on. This puts an overlay on the the clip in the viewer and canvas that gives us extra info and control. Let's say you added a keyframe to the beginning of the clip. Then you went to the canvas or viewer and moved the playhead to the end of the clip. Now click on the corner of the wireframe and pull it out so the wireframe grows in size. The automatically adds a keyframe and makes the scale bigger. You can also make it smaller. If the clip had a keyframe for position, then when you move the wireframe left or right, it would create a new keyframe and the pic would now move left or right etc.

Hope some of this helps. And other people probably have even more efficient means, I am not yet a seasoned pro :)

4. Ivan B thread starter macrumors newbie

Ivan B

Thanks for providing this info...it gives me enough to get started and experiment. I think I have a good idea what FCP can do here vs iMovie.

Cheers again and have a great new year!