Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
latergator116 said:
Yes, he did. This was one of the closer games because he went into final jeapordy with barely double the score of the next closest guy.

Oooh, a real nail-biter... :rolleyes:

As I said earlier, I have less and less desire to watch Jeopardy now thanks to this publicity stunt...

a-non-a-mus

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2004
jefhatfield said:
in the book a millionaire next door, i learned that there is a big difference between paper millionaires and people who can actually cash out, pay their taxes, and still have a million...three quarters of paper millionaires are not that after taxes, fees, etc..

Okay, seriously, what is with the repeated references to the book "The millionaire next door" on this thread?

Do people have stock in the publishing company or something? :p

Because in all the other math and economics related posts, at no point did anyone say "Well, in my 2nd year macro-economics text book by John Smith, I learned that you calculate inflation by...."

Is this just THAT good a book? Am I the only one who finds this just somewhat anomalous? :confused:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
a-non-a-mus said:
Okay, seriously, what is with the repeated references to the book "The millionaire next door" on this thread?

Do people have stock in the publishing company or something? :p

Because in all the other math and economics related posts, at no point did anyone say "Well, in my 2nd year macro-economics text book by John Smith, I learned that you calculate inflation by...."

Is this just THAT good a book? Am I the only one who finds this just somewhat anomalous? :confused:

It is a decent read, but I much prefer "The Millionaire Mind", which is the sequel. It talks about pretty much the same topics, but it a much better book in my opinion. It's intriguing to see that the vast majority of millionaries in the world do not have mansions, fancy sports cars, yachts and all that. There is a mountain of facts and demographics as well on how millioanires really live and spend their money, and it's quite interesting. It's a very excellent read and I recommend it - it gives you the proper perspective on things...

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
a-non-a-mus said:

while there are great books like the holy bible or, in my field, mueller's book on pc repair which is the hardware techie's bible, but they are large and cannot be easily understood while casually glancing at it on the shelf at the bookstore

the millionaire next door is the businessman's bible, but unlike the above books mentioned, you can practially read the whole thing while browsing at a bookstore...which i did over several visits at different bookstores

after five years of business school, undergrad and grad, and many other non scheduled business classes, i have never seen such a great book so with it when it comes to understanding money for the non-businessman/woman

by now, everybody old enough to drink knows that there is no "easy" way to make a million dollars in a lifetime...and hang onto it

first of all, in real terms, not paper/before taxes, there are really not that many millionaires after all in the usa...during the height of dot.com it was 4 million paper millionaires in the usa but that's among 275 million people though...since the bust, paper millionaires have diminished more than fifty percent

and then we had a recession so the number inevitably dropped some more

and then realize that 2/3rds or more of the millionaires are born that way

you have a much better chance of running into a lawyer or doctor on the street...they are much more common...now think, how many of your friends are either doctors or lawyers, and then what percentage of your friends are one of those two?

and then realize that a millionaire *after taxes, is five or six time less likely...so yes, it takes discipline and even a lifestyle/mindset to end up with a million, after taxes

even ken jennings will probably not have a million after uncle sam gets to him ;)

...robert kiyosaki's rich dad/poor dad series is about as well known as "millionaire next door" and it could be to mass popular publishing which makes those two books in every bookstore in the world

in the end they say basically the same thing...don't spend above your means, and work for yourself...he he...duh :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
~Shard~ said:
It is a decent read, but I much prefer "The Millionaire Mind", which is the sequel. It talks about pretty much the same topics, but it a much better book in my opinion. It's intriguing to see that the vast majority of millionaries in the world do not have mansions, fancy sports cars, yachts and all that. There is a mountain of facts and demographics as well on how millioanires really live and spend their money, and it's quite interesting. It's a very excellent read and I recommend it - it gives you the proper perspective on things...

he author mentions "big hat, no cattle"...that decribes those who have a lot of stuff but no cash

then there are the humbe folk who shop at target or costco, buy middle class, or lower, goods, and sock away the rest of the money in the bank, investments, and real estate

living next to pebble beach and big sur, a millionaire's haven in california, i see those humble millionaires on a daily basis...most of the kids i went to high school with were their offspring

humble and low key is the key word here

i live just up the street from saks fifth in carmel (also a nice place, too) and it's largely the working and middle class who go in there and go hog wild

in my life, 40 yrs and counting, i have never seen a rolex on the wrist of a millionaire

of course, one of my clients *and friends...yes, they are people, too ;)... is a billionaire (mandalay picutures among other things) AND while they ususally dress very down, that family does have a weakness for gaudy, expensive flash...but then again,they are billionaires so they don't have to follow any rule of millionaires or frugality ;) but some of them like to listen to country music, drive big trucks, speak in double negatives, and fit in with the local fisherman boys ;)

but if they spend like freaks they can conceibably spend it all in three generations

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
jefhatfield said:
even ken jennings will probably not have a million after uncle sam gets to him
Your comment made me wonder: after he's done on Jeopardy!, will we hear further from Ken Jennings? He could retire, but he's well-known now and celebrity makes you a marketable product. If he wanted to, he could be a public speaker, write a book, promote academic decathelons, sell the story of his life for a made-for-TV movie, fill all nine positions on Hollywood Squares, or who knows what else. What will he choose to do?

a-non-a-mus

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2004
And so it starts: I just saw a commercial for a hotel chain that had a 'smart' customer winning on Jeopardy!; it wasn't supposed to be Ken or anything but my bet is that there is no way Jeopardy! would have got the deal without him.

I'm sure he will end up doing several commercial endorsements once his episodes are over and probably earn more this way than on the show.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Doctor Q said:
Your comment made me wonder: after he's done on Jeopardy!, will we hear further from Ken Jennings? He could retire, but he's well-known now and celebrity makes you a marketable product. If he wanted to, he could be a public speaker, write a book, promote academic decathelons, sell the story of his life for a made-for-TV movie, fill all nine positions on Hollywood Squares, or who knows what else. What will he choose to do?

let's say he walks away from jeopardy with 750k after the show after taxes...i really can see commecials which can double that take and insure his ability to walk away from it all

regis invited him for supermillionaire so i see him making at least another million right there...and he could use the audience as you know and one can assume there will be a lot of bright people there to cheer him on...and to help him answer stumping questions

i just don't see him going back to work, at some messy desk, and code all day for a paycheck ;)

btw...it's said that he's a software developer...he may very well be the boss and have other people code while he gets the big bucks, so ken could be pretty well to do anyway

but i would be curious to see a tv movie of the week on his life story...every day that passes, i get more and more curious about this unusual man ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
a-non-a-mus said:
And so it starts: I just saw a commercial for a hotel chain that had a 'smart' customer winning on Jeopardy!; it wasn't supposed to be Ken or anything but my bet is that there is no way Jeopardy! would have got the deal without him.

I'm sure he will end up doing several commercial endorsements once his episodes are over and probably earn more this way than on the show.

Ah well, he can enjoy his 15 minutes of fame as a "celebrity" then after Jeopardy is done - then he can join the ranks of William Hung... :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
jefhatfield said:
but i would be curious to see a tv movie of the week on his life story...every day that passes, i get more and more curious about this unusual man ;)

And I could care less about him and this little publicity stunt of Jeopardy's producers... But to each his own. :)

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
~Shard~ said:
And I could care less about him and this little publicity stunt of Jeopardy's producers... But to each his own. :)

just come out and say it. "I dislike Ken Jennings and his big brain very very much." We all know its what you're thinking... :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
obeygiant said:
just come out and say it. "I dislike Ken Jennings and his big brain very very much." We all know its what you're thinking... :)

Ken Jennings and his big brain wouldn't appear so big if Jeopardy wasn't scraping the bottom of the barrel for competition against him so that he can keep winning. Never in all my years of watching Jeopardy have I seen so many subpar contestants in a row. But, I can't fault the producers for wanting to boost the show's ratings. That, and Trebek has a bad case of Regis-envy... :cool:

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
~Shard~ said:
Ken Jennings and his big brain wouldn't appear so big if Jeopardy wasn't scraping the bottom of the barrel for competition against him so that he can keep winning. Never in all my years of watching Jeopardy have I seen so many subpar contestants in a row. But, I can't fault the producers for wanting to boost the show's ratings. That, and Trebek has a bad case of Regis-envy... :cool:

Disclaimer: I mean this post in as polite and friendly a manner as I can muster. Tone is a hard thing to communicate online, but I'm trying to be disarming, not angry or sarcastic. :)

You wouldn't appear so small if you didn't keep making repeated posts slamming a man you've never met based on charges you cannot prove. Give it a rest. So you hate Jeopardy! and this guy. You're entitled to your opinion. But please don't beat us over the head with it. You've made your point. :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Awimoway said:
Disclaimer: I mean this post in as polite and friendly a manner as I can muster. Tone is a hard thing to communicate online, but I'm trying to be disarming, not angry or sarcastic. :)

You wouldn't appear so small if you didn't keep making repeated posts slamming a man you've never met based on charges you cannot prove. Give it a rest. So you hate Jeopardy! and this guy. You're entitled to your opinion. But please don't beat us over the head with it. You've made your point. :)

And you misinterpreted my tone, so my apologies. I actually understood your post and its intent perfectly, and am just having some fun with my posts in this thread, especially with that last one there - I was only being half-serious. (Perhaps I should have used more emoticons?) It's really a trivial thing for me (pardon the pun) about this whole Ken Jennings thing, as I could take it or leave it, but I thought it would be fun to stir the pot a bit and have some fun with an opposing point of view.

As for "appearing small", I certainly don't hope you see me that way simply for voicing an alternate opinion to yours, and in a playful manner nonetheless. I'll chalk that unecessary judgement up to the lack of tone inherent in posting. ;)

And lastly, I don't hate Jeopardy - I've been watching it for, oh, probably the last 15 years! Although I watch it less now thanks to Ken, I don't hate it by any means - as I said, I'm just taking the position I'm taking more for fun than anything. And evidently I'm doing a good job of getting my point across so perhaps I should join a debate team or something... ;)

Thanks for the post, but it was unecessary. :) :cool:

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
~Shard~ said:
And you misinterpreted my tone, so my apologies. I actually understood your post and its intent perfectly, and am just having some fun with my posts in this thread, especially with that last one there - I was only being half-serious. (Perhaps I should have used more emoticons?) It's really a trivial thing for me (pardon the pun) about this whole Ken Jennings thing, as I could take it or leave it, but I thought it would be fun to stir the pot a bit and have some fun with an opposing point of view.

As for "appearing small", I certainly don't hope you see me that way simply for voicing an alternate opinion to yours, and in a playful manner nonetheless. I'll chalk that unecessary judgement up to the lack of tone inherent in posting. ;)

And lastly, I don't hate Jeopardy - I've been watching it for, oh, probably the last 15 years! Although I watch it less now thanks to Ken, I don't hate it by any means - as I said, I'm just taking the position I'm taking more for fun than anything. And evidently I'm doing a good job of getting my point across so perhaps I should join a debate team or something... ;)

Thanks for the post, but it was unecessary. :) :cool:

Well, I'm glad no offense was taken. I think we should rename this post after you in honor of your numerous posts. "The ~Shard~ Memorial 'Ken Jennings can't lose on Jeopardy' But That's Probably Because It's Fixed — At Least, That's What ~Shard~ Thinks Thread" :p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Awimoway said:
Well, I'm glad no offense was taken. I think we should rename this post after you in honor of your numerous posts. "The ~Shard~ Memorial 'Ken Jennings can't lose on Jeopardy' But That's Probably Because It's Fixed — At Least, That's What ~Shard~ Thinks Thread" :p

I like it... It has a nice ring to it and just kind of rolls off the tongue.... ;)

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Actually, I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next man and would probably share your suspicions were I not understandably biased on this subject.

(P.S. I don't know why, but I can't seem to post replies to this thread with Safari. I have to open Firefox to make replies. I had the same problem with the Gmail thread. And yet I can post replies to other MacRumors threads with no problems. I have been referred by MacRumors to the VBulletin feedback forum to troubleshoot my problem, but I don't see the point, since there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to which threads I can reply to with Safari.)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Awimoway said:
Actually, I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next man and would probably share your suspicions were I not understandably biased on this subject.

Fair enough then, good sir! :cool:

As for your Safari problem, why don't you ask Ken Jennings how to fix it, he knows everything... :p ;)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
~Shard~ said:
Fair enough then, good sir! :cool:

As for your Safari problem, why don't you ask Ken Jennings how to fix it, he knows everything... :p ;)

he is a "software developer" and thus some sort of techie

maybe, this techie also a hacker, and maybe even a cracker (hacker who steals), and maybe he's hacked the jeopardy computers and knows the answers and answers enough on the show to win...and misses some on purpose to look convincing

it has occured to me as an outside thought ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
jefhatfield said:
he is a "software developer" and thus some sort of techie

maybe, this techie also a hacker, and maybe even a cracker (hacker who steals), and maybe he's hacked the jeopardy computers and knows the answers and answers enough on the show to win...and misses some on purpose to look convincing

it has occured to me as an outside thought ;)

Hmm, interesting, I like the way you think. Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. ;) :p :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
~Shard~ said:
Hmm, interesting, I like the way you think. Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. ;) :p :)

here's the conspiracy theories i hold to:

1) more than one person shot at kennedy
2) perhaps the skull and bones fraternity at yale has a little more power than your average fraternity
3) the american press is not as liberal as many think
4) the producers of jeopardy have recently picked weak contestants to make ken jennings look "really" good...but only did this after they saw him win for a couple of weeks

here's the theories i think are baloney, or mostly so:

1) psychics
2) ghosts
3) a vast conspiracy that killed kennedy that involves many people in the us government, cuban government, or mob
4) bush using his brother to directly, overtly, purposely fix the election results in florida
5) nostradamus and his predictions
6) and much of what businessweek says from time to time to sell magazines ;)
7) ken jennings reading alex trebeck's mind, or paying him off, or paying off his competitors, etc ;)

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Isn't it possible that the reason there seem to be so many sub-par competitors against Ken is because Ken is MAKING them look like sub-par competitors?

It isnt like he doesnt know EVERY answer! If they were sub-par, then no one would be winning 15,000 dollars after the Jeopardy first round. But as it is, KJ just rings in with the correct answer every time.

I'm glad everyone has all these silly theories ad nauseam, but lets just call it like it is:

Ken just knows his trivia.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
agreenster said:
Isn't it possible that the reason there seem to be so many sub-par competitors against Ken is because Ken is MAKING them look like sub-par competitors?

It isnt like he doesnt know EVERY answer! If they were sub-par, then no one would be winning 15,000 dollars after the Jeopardy first round. But as it is, KJ just rings in with the correct answer every time.

I'm glad everyone has all these silly theories ad nauseam, but lets just call it like it is:

Ken just knows his trivia.

it's entirely possible that ken jennings is totally wiping out two very smart competitors every night, right? sure, it's possible, but not probable...the thing that is probable is that the show is going for the ratings

just look at how many people on the internet are watching the show every night and talking about it...ratings must be good and it would make sense to seed the show with weak competition to boost an already amazing player

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.