Kennedy vs Alito

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jan 20, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not that I'm a fan of the Chappaquiddick Kid, but this speech is very good:

More...

2. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

(continued)

A bit more to follow. It's a long speech...

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

And finally:

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i would fully support a filibuster on this vote, but i'm skeptical it's going to happen. disappointing all around.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would support a filibuster on this guy also, 1st we all know Rowe vs Wade would be overturned with him on the court, and he is made of the same stuff as those supreme court justices who ruled for govt to take your land for any reason they want. He is Pro Govt,Pro Executive Power and has no record of standing up for the individual or the small guy. He is a govt and big business Pawn. Period. We need a fair and balanced court, not a right wing stacked court who will let govt trample our freedoms and libertys.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

we could start a game show: "What will the Democrats Cave In on this Week?

As for Alito, I didn't even trust Roberts (and don't). Why would the Dems allow Bush to pack the courts with neo-conservatives? Have they no principles?

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have to go along with what Jerry Springer says often on his radio show -- that if this were to happen, or if abortion rights were limited in any substantial way, that that would essentially mean the end of the Republican party in America for a long, long time. They'd be cutting their own throats.

I realize this is what we call "cold comfort", but at least I have faith that some good would come out of it.

As to why the Dems aren't trying to stop this...think about it. They cut that deal with the devil that says they agree not to filibuster except in "extraordinary" circumstances. Well, I'm sure when they were grilling Alito last week they were looking for that opinion or statement from him that would give the Democrats the justification to go ahead with a filibuster...and Alito very skillfully refused to say anything controversial.

That "deal" is really looking like a whopping blunder now.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd support a filibuster as well, but more because he's a shill for the corporate elite, a friend to Bush, and the protege of radical elements of the right that have been training judges for this for some 30 years now than because I think Roe v Wade is in immediate danger.

Alito's appointment will make Kennedy the swing judge; a shift to the right for sure, but probably leaving the court at 5-4 in favor of Roe rather than the 6-3 vote it has right now. That would mean that Bush would need to replace one more justice in the majority in order to directly threaten Roe.

What you will see as a result of an Alito SCOTUS appointment is some chipping away at privacy rights that will include abortion. The court will take a more activist posture as it sets about dismantling what it can of the results of Roe.

But you will also see corporations getting their way a lot more often than the little guy, individual rights chipped away in order to 'protect' the citizenry -- both from external threats, and because they know best what is good for you. And of course they have YOUR best interests at heart.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The vote is today, when all said and done with the republican majority it looks like he will walk into the supreme court and our libertys & freedoms will be taking another step out. Hail to the all powerful police state, Govt is and will be king and the individual means nothing. Another step towards Tyranny,Big Brother,Fascism.

10. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I really don't care anymore. I figure in 100 years it won't matter. we will have ****ed up our planet so badly after ignoring decades of warning signs that humanity will be slowly dieing off. And if people like this is where we are heading. . .I welcome it.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You actually think it's going to take that long? I give it 6 years. Tops.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sounds about right. The Mayan calendar says the world ends in December, 2012.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

please let it be early december, so i won't spend my last few days on earth xmas shopping.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sorry, Dec 21st. But I've also heard it could be in Spring. Feel better?

Oh, and I completely believe that this is one of those self-fulfilling prophecies.

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Huh? First, I must have missed the vote on Tuesday. I know that the committee sent him to the Senate, but I would hardly call that a trip to the bench.

Also, I'm curious to know how you can justify including Judge Alito in the same group as Justices Souter, Ginsberg, Breyer, Kennedy, and Stevens. I would have thought him more like Rehnquist. I had even heard rumors that he votes similar to Scalia. But, what do I know?;)

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

rats. so i'll be spending my last few days on earth beating myself up for not having done my xmas shopping yet. :)

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Kerry is pushing for a filibuster its being reported. I like this because Alito has never shown support for the little guy. The supreme court is suppose to be neutral yet Alito has shown time and time again he isnt neutral. I would like to see some backbone from the democrats. If we are going to have someone on the court for a lifetime he should have support of both partys not just Republicans. Alito isnt going to be good for the country just as he clearly doesnt represent mainstream America. We need a supreme court who isnt part of the good old boy club. Alito puts our country on the road to the police state.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good for Kerry. At least someone on the left has the balls to stand up and fight. I was very disappointed however, to see Sen. Byrd say he will vote to confirm Alito.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Like I said, you could get lucky, it could be Spring. :p