Kenneth Lay's Conviction Erased From Record

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 17, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wash post

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I fully expect him to be resurrected somewhere in other part of the world. As rich as him, you can't imagine what he can do.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

So he was allready convicted but because he dies they erase it? Our govt doing everything for the corporations, helping to screw the individual the working man etc. He donated large amounts to the party that runs our govt so im not surprised at all. Keep voting Republican if you feel sorry for these rich millionaires. Again the congress of doing nothing did....nothing.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hmmm...

Bet the defense lawyers are going to ask for a bigger chunk of cash from the estate.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What a load of crap. So does that mean Jeffery Dahmer is absolved as well? What's the difference here? They both destroyed lives.

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

If memory serves, the reason Lay is getting a pass is because he died after being convicted but before being sentenced. Legally and on a gross technicality, the case is not closed until sentencing.

Here's hoping the victims can find a legal recourse to filing a claim against Lay's estate. While I feel for his family, they shouldn't be allowed to profit [immensely] because of this.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Per the article, "Legal analysts said Lake's ruling closely hewed to a long-held doctrine called abatement, which allows a conviction to be vacated if defendants die before they are able to exercise their right to appeal. Courts typically rule that defendants' constitutional rights to challenge their convictions outweigh other considerations, and the law hesitates to punish the dead, the analysts said."

Lethal