Kensington Portable Power Inverter

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by KevRC4130, Aug 8, 2004.

1. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Hey all,
    Has anyone tried the Kensington Portable Power Inverter ? It's a whole lot cheaper than the Kensington Universal Air/Car adapter , but seems to do the same basic thing, power a Powerbook while on the road! Does anyone have any experiences with each, or any reasons why I should get one over the other, or why I shouldn't get one?

Thanks

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I just bought the CyberPower AC Inverter with Adapter at Circuit City for $50. This link might or might not work to bring you there. You can always just look it up.

Anyway, I'm very, very happy with it. First, it handles 140W - more than enough for my mobile needs. Second, it lets you plug another lighter adapter into the front of it (see photo at website) so you don't lose an adapter plug. Third, it converts to an airline power device by simply letting you pop off the car-adapter plug's front, revealing an airplane power adapter jack.

Very much a cool device, and easily, I think, worth the $20 premium over the cheapest Kensington you mentioned.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Also, I'd stay away from the $80 universal adapter - you can only plug in one thing at a time, and you need to have the correct "tip" to do so. The other ones use a standard 120V plug - meaning you could, if you'd like, plug in an outlet expander like you'd use at home and use multiple 120V devices at once. Of course, there's a wattage max, but most electronic equipment won't touch that - at least, the stuff you'd bring with you while traveling won't. Just think - use your laptop while charging your phone while, er, using something else. I'm set with the phone and laptop.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I've got the same adapter as jsw and I agree it's nice. But it can be a little heavy to travel with on a regular basis (on planes anyway). Of course, it's also nice to have in the car to plug in a VCR or other equipment to play on the car's (alright, alright, minivan's) video system.

I also have a USB power adapter that I use for my phone - so if my laptop's plugged in, so is my phone. It's lightweight and easy to store.

5. boha macrumors newbie

boha

rating: awesome

I just bought this thing -- it rocks. I opted for the AC/DC/Airline adapter for $99 (at my physical Apple Store) so I can have a home/office dual-adapter solution. Haven't tried it on a plane yet (just got it), but car and wall operation is superb.

The best part? This device is PHYSICALLY IDENTICAL to the popular "Juice" adapter available at igo.com. Identical! I have yet to buy the additional charging plugs for my cell phones, etc. . . . but believe you me, I will.

Same thing -- only cheaper, and just as excellent!

6. mohmandm macrumors member

Bought one for 57 dollars

I got the universal kensington (well actually coming in mail). but they have it at buy.com for only 57 dollars