Kentucky Derby Winner Barbaro euthanized

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Jan 29, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his gruesome breakdown at last year's Preakness, ending an eight-month ordeal that prompted an outpouring of support across the country.

"We just reached a point where it was going to be difficult for him to go on without pain," co-owner Roy Jackson said. "It was the right decision, it was the right thing to do. We said all along if there was a situation where it would become more difficult for him then it would be time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2747087

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Euthanized?

You mean shot, instead of retired and left to end his days munching grass and taking dust baths in the sun!

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Laminitis is no reason to destroy a horse. My mother's horse suffers from it!
    Too much for a horse to bear? Bollocks!! More like the drugs/treatment was more than the owner would bear!

There's only one reason why race horses are destroyed. Money!

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

If that were the case then they would of not tried for 8 months to save him.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

I think they were trying to save him so he could race again, not to limp round a field.

7. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

So.. You think it's better that he live a long life of pain and suffering....

interesting..

That he spend his days never being able to do the things that horses do because he's on constant medications for the pain...

interesting..

I'm not going to argue .. but as an animal lover.. I'd rather see any of my pets put down than have to live a miserable life in constant pain..The selfish thing to do would be for me to keep them alive just to have them alive.. but i don't think it would be the best thing for them.

but hey i'm just another @**hole with an opinion... so.. whatever.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Laminitis is not a life ending condition! With care and drugs horses can live nice happy relaxed lives but not race and earn their owners cash!

9. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

You don't know that.. and it's a pretty crappy accusation if it isn't true.

Unless you know these people personally and have personal knowledge of everything said and done.. I think you should refrain from saying such terrible things about people.

There are some awful people in this world.. but do you know that these folk are some of them?

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Oh, because race horse owners are well renowned to actually care about their horses more than the income it can generate...:rolleyes:

11. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

Yeah but do you know FOR A FACT that was the only issue?
    Or that there weren't other medical things going on?

Because people have pets die everyday.. and they don't always disclose ALL the info.. They tell you what they think you need to know.. ESPECIALLY when it comes to Sports with animals.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

*sigh*

Ok then, you know much more than me.
    Whatever.

13. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

No i never said that.. but unless you KNOW people personally I don't think you have any room to talk about their motivations.

To be honest.. they owned the horse.. and it's their right to do anything they want to with him.. and who are you to say anything about it?

You feel he was just a piece of meat to them.. well.. then isn't he better off dead? I mean if they were only interested in mis-treating him to make a buck..

14. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

I never said I know more...

But I have seen the way things happen in Purebred dogs.. another sport..
    and there are all types..

People who care..
    people who don't care..
    and People who don't care enough...

I know if I had a dog who I had to put down.. i'd break my heart..
    and I'd be pretty hurt and pissed if some one accused me of killing my dog because it wasn't gonna benefit me to keep it alive anymore. Especially some one who doesn't know me or the situation.

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

He was not going to be able to race again.

16. bartelby macrumors Core

AND?

Have you actually read any of my posts?

When you can't earn money would it be ok if I destroy you?

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You are talking about their motivations and I assume you don't know them either.

Who are you to say bartelby doesn't have a right to voice his opinion? And just because they own the animal doesn't mean "it's their right to do anything they want with him" as there are animal cruelty laws in the US. ;)

Lethal

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Did you read the article? The injury itself was career ending and life threatening. There was no hope, ever, of the horse racing again after it went down, but the owners still went thru multiple operations and treatment options on the horse.

Lethal

19. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

They were going to make huge money by putting him out to stud.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

A broken leg is NOT life threatening but it is career ending!

And without looking on t'web you all know about Laminitis?

21. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Instead, Barbaro was transported that night to the New Bolton Center's George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals and was operated on the next day by Richardson.

The injuries were as serious as everyone feared: Barbaro sustained a broken cannon bone above the ankle, a broken sesamoid bone behind the ankle and a broken long pastern bone below the ankle. The fetlock joint -- the ankle -- was dislocated. Richardson said the pastern bone was shattered in "20-plus pieces."

Barbaro, who earned $2,302,200 with his six wins in seven starts, endured the complicated five-hour surgery in which Richardson inserted a titanium plate and 27 screws into the broken bones. After calmly awakening from anesthesia, he "practically jogged back to his stall" looking for something to eat.

At the time, Richardson stressed Barbaro still had many hurdles to clear, and called chances for a full recovery a "coin toss."

Afterward, though, things went relatively smoothly. Each day brought more optimism: Barbaro was eyeing the mares, nickering, gobbling up his feed and trying to walk out of his stall. There was great hope Barbaro somehow would overcome the odds and live a life of leisure on the farm.

But by mid-July, Richardson's greatest fear became reality -- laminitis struck Barbaro's left hind leg and 80 percent of the hoof was removed. Richardson recalled recently what it was like when he met with the Jacksons, and Matz, and his wife, D.D., to deliver the news.

"It was terrible," Richardson said. "I wouldn't have blamed anyone at that point for saying they just couldn't face the prospects of going on."

But Barbaro responded well to treatment, and his recovery was progressing until a final, fatal turn.

22. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Around here, euthanized = shot in the face with a 12 gauge shotgun. :eek:

23. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

Your right i don't.. and that is why I have refrained from commenting on their motivations..

Odds are he was NEVER gonna race again.. Chances are they knew that from the beginning of the treatments... Of course I don't know this for sure.. and neither does anyone else outside of the circle.. So For me ..I'm gonna refrain from opinion.

With in reason...

You know exactly what I ment.. so don't twist my words.

Until Horses can talk we humans, unfortunely, have to make the best decisions we can for them and any other animal. It would have been easier if the poor horse could have said CLEARLY what he wanted.. but he couldn't.. and so it sucked for him. I'll be the first to tell you that. My life would be 100% easier if my animals could tell me what they wanted instead of having me mull over what is best for them all the time..

24. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

YUP. Why would you kill your investment when it's still gonna make you money? I know you can have them collected.. but why only collect them once when you can have as much as you want ready and available.

25. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

When I read an earlier article this morning describing the setback, I figured this was coming. Too bad. A lot of people were touched by the struggle and story.