Kernal Panic when ripping

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kdawg, Feb 16, 2005.

1. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

Okay I got a new powerbook (switcher here) I have been ripping My CD Collection to itunes... some of the CD's are a little scratched, and the system hangs when it try's to rip them. So I tell it to stip and I get the "spinning wheel of death"

The system just hangs, so then I force quit.... then after that I get a kernal panic....

Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
    kdawg

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Try repairing permissions. Directions can be found on this sticky

3. kdawg thread starter macrumors regular

kdawg

thanks, but i tried that prior to posting... anyother suggestions?

4. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

So, let me just confirm what's going on...

You have iTunes open, put a CD in and begin importing. You initially say that the system hangs (verify what you mean by "system"; is it iTunes that hangs or OS X that hangs?), you then say you tell it to skip (assumed translation of "stip"; what is it that you're skipping?) and you get the pinwheel. You then say that the system hangs (again, please verify what you mean by system), you force quit (I assume iTunes), and then receive a kernal panic.

Just verify some of those things so that the situation can be better judged.

Also, have you made any AEM upgrades? If so, which ones?

5. kdawg thread starter macrumors regular

kdawg

Thanks for replying...

So I am importing songs into itunes, Sometimes itunes will hang when it is in the process of ripping a song. My assumption is becuase it is having trouble reading the media. (got a few CD's that are kinda old) You can hear the cd drive going back and forth like it is tryting to read a specific spot on the disk.

The status bar (in itunes) that lets you know the import progress stops moving and the time and size remaining no longer display. Write speed is no longer dispalyed as well. The machine just sits there trying to read the CD.

I have tried the following individually, and in different combinations when this happens:

Let it continue 30 minutes: It just keeps trying to read the disk.

Uncheck the box net to the song: It just keeps trying to read the disk (Lasted 30 minues last time) (this is where I refer to skiping.. or I believe I said Stip

Tell it to stop importing: Spinning wheel of death comes along. The system contineus to try to read the CD. I have also tried to wait this one out with no luck. Last time it Sat there for 10 minutes with the wheel O Death.

Force Quit: itunes closes but the computer trys to read the CD for 3-4 minutes, then it finally stops trying to read the CD

If I then restart itunes and import the rest of the CD (Minus the track it failed) or another CD I usually get a Please restart in every launguage known to man.

when I say the system hangs, Nothing to do with OS X actually hangs... it is itunes I refer to... Poor choice of words on my part. I hope this helps you better understand my problem.

Thanks for your time

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, that iTunes beachballs and has to be force quit when encountering a heavily scratched disk doesn't consern me, that's happened to me more than once, with no apparent damage...

...the kernel panic, on the other hand, is really worrying, as kernel panics may indicate hardware problems, in this case something to do with the optical drive...

...maybe there's some hardware diagnostics tool that can check your drive...?

7. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Hmmm, this is very bizarre. I've never seen this problem before.

You didn't answer whether you've done any AEM upgrades so I'll assume you haven't.

You might try booting off of your hardware test CD and doing a check. This is very abnormal and almost sounds like a hardware issue to me. If you're close to an Apple store or authorized repair center, I'd suggest bringing it in there even if the hardware test results in a flawless system. As long as you can reproduce the situation (which, by the sounds of it, you have no problem doing) then you'll no doubt be given a prompt answer as to what's wrong with the system.

Keep posting on the situation.

8. kdawg thread starter macrumors regular

kdawg

AEM Upgrade? I am not sure what that is to start, so I will have to say no... I dont know if I will bring this into the apple store over such an issue, as I am already on my THIRD Powerbook.... I just switched on Jan 14th and LOVE OS X however.....

I think that apple's quality control is lacking. My first powerbook had a keyboard that didn't lie flat and made a horrible popping noise. So, I back my stuff up and take it to the apple store and after an hour of waiting around they give me a new powerbook.... I take this one home, restore from backup and I am happy... then I whip out my bluetooth mouse... but that doesn't work... So I try to get it going resetting pram and all that stuff... no luck... So I take it back and after 3 hours they give me a third powerbook.

I don't know if this is worth it if I have to take it back again...if I do, I might just switch back to a PC.

I think I will boot frm the CD or apple care disk to run a diagnostics on the workstation... If it fails the test, then back to apple I go.

thanks for all your input.
    kdawg

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've had a similar problem while ripping, but not as severe. It's happened with a couple of discs, both of which appear to be in just about perfect condition. In the middle of ripping (on about the third or fourth track usually), iTunes will hang just like you said...the progress bar stops moving and I don't see info about ripping speed, etc. I hear occasional clicking from the Superdrive, but nothing changes. If I try to quit and/or force quit iTunes, I get the beachball and iTunes refuses to quit. It doesn't cause a system kernel panic, but I do have to do a restart in order to shut down iTunes and get my disc back.

10. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

AEM = Aftermarket Equipment Manufacturer; basically, any upgrade you've done after the original purchase.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with Apple, they have to lowest turnover on bad products among computer companies. Unfortunately for you, it seems that you've hard to bear the brunt of the probability. You might try buying a lottery ticket today ;) .

Even so, there may still be a hardware problem with the computer so I'd suggest taking it to them to have a look.